Praise to new owners of Mikes XS

RFLIVES

Resident Sidecar nut
Reaction score
Just wanted everyone to know about a situation that I ran into with Mikes xs. I had purchased a pwk carb set from them in November of last year. Before the change of ownership. This week I have been getting this thing back together for the last time and realized that I had received two right side carb boots. I shot them a email asking if I could exchange it or buy the correct side. I was not expecting much help due to it being over a year since I purchased them and was expecting a go pound sand response. However they were very helpful and sent me a replacement right away.
I have spent over $1500 bucks with them over the last year and have always been worried if something went wrong because of the whole no phone # deal. But they stepped up and took care of me when they really had no obligation to do so. Thanks again !:thumbsup:

No. 650 Central is owned by Michael Morse. He is a distributor of many of MikesXS products though.

MikesXS.net (the US branch) was owned by Mike L. If I understand correctly, Mike basically split the business and sold the US distribution part of it (MikesXS.net) and now just takes care of importing the products and selling them to the distributors (XS650 Direct in Canada, and a few others around the world). Mike has personal contacts overseas, and without him the manufacturers overseas would probably have never made parts for these bikes and might not continue to make parts for these bikes, so he's crucial to the supply chain.

[
Mike has personal contacts overseas, and without him the manufacturers overseas would probably have never made parts for these bikes and might not continue to make parts for these bikes, so he's crucial to the supply chain.[/QUOTE]

Yes Travis,you are partially correct about some of what you said about the "split",and i won't get into any of that on this forum.But the main problem right now is the new owners getting a new supply of parts from overseas. It will be interesting since they do not have the connections that Mike has,but they seem to think that is no problem since they have superior knowledge above anyone else in the motorcycle business. It will be interesting to see how this will unfold in the future.I have a good idea how it will probably end.

It sounds like "Mike L" will be the won making out on the deal.

I think the main issue MikesXS has always had is that the website never shows anything out of stock (isn't link to real inventory) and quality control.

Quality wouldn't be a problem if they just replaced defective units...but that's expensive.

Come to think of it, earlier in the year I ordered some stuff including a 'heavy duty' kickstarter. In the box I got a 'Bigfoot' shifter. I sent them an Email saying I had planned to buy the shifter anyway and would keep it, but I needed a kickstarter first and didn't mind paying for the part but I didn't feel I should pay the shipping since the order was over the $150 free shipping.

The next morning in my email inbox was a invoice for $0 for a kickstarter. I got it two days later, completely free of charge. I was very pleased with how all that was handled.

I've spent a few hundered dollars at mikes in the past few months and havent had a problem yet. I place one order and forgot to add something. I then sent an email asking if they could add it to my order, the original order was already paid/processed so I had to buy the item with shipping, but they sent a refund for the shipping cost and was about to get it in my original order. So far so good.

I'm glad RFLIVES is getting such great service. I don't get his diatribe about people "trolling" on his thread. If it's about Mikesxs customer service, good or bad, it's relevant here. My experiences have not been good. I spent $1402 over the course of several weeks for one bike project. This cafe project has exceeded $8000 in parts alone w/ no internal engine work, clutch or trans work. They would have gotten a much bigger chunk too, had it not been for their poor reputation and website w/ poorly described products and lack of available phone contact.
Alas, some things you must get from them and so I did. The last and most glaring problem to complete my project revolves around instruments. I ordered an apparent set from them. The speedo has blue backlighting. The tach has white backlighting. Each email I send them takes a minimum of 3 days to get a response and then they fail to clearly read the content of my clearly written emails referencing part numbers, invoice dates and numbers etc. etc. Their website descriptions of these products don't give you enough info to make an intelligent choice. One tachometers description (03-0732) actually claims it's backlit w/ halogen. All I want is a set w/ matched backlighting. They can't or don't want to help me. I don't get it. :banghead:
I really wish someone (like Mike Morse, who is most awesome :thumbsup:) would hire some young, energetic kid w/ a bunch of Chinese relatives, track down these sources of parts and purchase a large inventory ( I don't think these factories in China will honor no-compete contracts) and put Mikesxs right the hell out of business. It would be a very simple thing to do.
I have a lot of experience in the wrenching and service industries as a mechanic and eventually Service director of large dealerships (incl. Porsche, Audi, Toyota) and later in life as a mobile tool dealer. The way Mikesxs treats their customers is apalling. The people who argue otherwise are simply wrong.

I have always had luck with them. Before there was the cdn site too. Click buy with mouse, enter info....Shipped and here in 5 days. What problem?

I'm glad RFLIVES is getting such great service. I don't get his diatribe about people "trolling" on his thread. The way Mikesxs treats their customers is apalling. The people who argue otherwise are simply wrong.

Thanks for your opinion obviously you are upset enough to dig up a month old thread to inject it. If you are upset about you purchase return it.

I really wish someone (like Mike Morse, who is most awesome :thumbsup:) would hire some young, energetic kid w/ a bunch of Chinese relatives, track down these sources of parts and purchase a large inventory ( I don't think these factories in China will honor no-compete contracts) and put Mikesxs right the hell out of business. It would be a very simple thing to do.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: simple...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

XS650 Direct sent me two left side clip-ons by accident. Contacted them by e-mail with no response. Found a phone number by doing a little Internet search. spoke with somebody and the issue was resolved within 24 hours. Apparently the Opperations only answers e-mails once or twice a week. Other than that, top notch in my books.

Sure--you can return things as I did (I paid the return shipping) and expected a credit or refund----nothing! Thankfully the item I returned was not a ton of money but....the principle! You are taking a gamble when dealing with them which is why I try not to. 650central is my place to go!

I've been completely happy with Mikes.

Only had one bad part, and they accepted it as a return and credited my account INCLUDING shipping. Can't ask for much more than that.

Hard to believe anybody doing business these days that has a web presence doesn't have a web store for ordering on-line. I'd like to try 650 Central, but my hearing loss makes working on the phone very difficult for me.

When you live as far out in the puckerbrush as I do, on-line shopping and UPS or USPS are the only way to go.

Back