Problems dialing in my idle/pilot jets?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have the main jet and mid range dialed in pretty good on my 77D but seem to
have problems with my idle,one side (choke side) needs the fuel screw turned out min 3 turns with a 30 pilot jet to work and other side will work great with a 27.5 pilot and fuel screw turned out 1.5 turns.(I do realize that both sides should be same size pilot) have changed all the gaskets and butterfly shaft seals (used Genuine Yamaha stuff not Mikes.I tryed spraying some starter fluid round the carbs and noticed a major idle drop when sprayed round the spring on choke side carb "outside".
Has anyone used o-rings instead of butterfly stock seals for this,the stock stuff dosent seal very well.I definately have no leaks round the boots,sprayed them also,choke seals also good.Thx

The "stock stuff" seals very well indeed, if (and this is a big if) the throttle shaft and its bushings aren't clapped out. Repair would cost more than a fresh used carb, assuming you could find a machine shop able and willing to line the throttle shaft bushings. If you have a D with only one choke valve, the carb set has been swapped to an earlier version; see the XS650 Garage Carb Guide.

Last edited:
Sorry,i do have choke on each side,sprayed both all good there,yeah i guess its the shafts and bushings r worn some,i did add a lil silicone lube to the seals before installing,the one side is definately running a lil leaner after a 20 mile ride but not excessive,what r your thoughts on adjusting the float maybe a mil on that side to richen it up,or shiming the needle,or just leave it.Dont think i want to change carbs or take to a machine shop.

My thoughts, D? I'm thinking that the old principle that two wrongs won't make a right applies here. I may have a decent carb body for you, and if I do you can have it for the cost of shipping. You need the left carb, correct?

Wow,Griz that would be great !! Thanks so much.Yes its the left thats the problem child.
Send me a personal email and ill give u the address,shipping ect.
warrenh@bell.net Ps:I have been on alot of forums for different toys over the years but
the tech information ,responce and people on this site r without a doubt the best ive ever experienced!!
Thx D.

D, I found two left hand 76-77 BS38's in my salvage stash, but both have enough radial slop on the throttle shaft that you can feel the click. Sorry, they're not going to do you any good; wish I could help.

Thats ok,thx for checking,i will ride it as is and look out for a decent unit.Might try some over size o rings!

Adding an o-ring over the top of the seal may help. You can't really do much over-sizing or you may induce shaft binding.

Back