Progressive 14 Series Shock

anthony412

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've seen a lot about the 12 series shocks but I'm on a bit of a budget and am interested in the 14 series. My current setup on the 81 special I just picked up measure 11 1/2 eye to eye. I am going with more of a cafe build so I want to go higher. The 14 series measure 13 inches eye to eye. Will this be a noticeable improvement once on the bike or will there be a measurable amount of sag?

Also, is anyone aware of different springs I could use? The only non-hd 14 series spring is chrome, I was hoping for black.

Thanks!

Anthony, eye-to-eye length on the OE shocks is 12-3/4". If you want your bike to dance you need to lift the rear; on a Special I recommend a minimum of 13-1/2". Sag is controlled by the spring and preload adjustment. Different spring rates are available, consult the vendor (if the vendor is 650 Central, you'll get a recommendation you can trust). Re. sag--you need 25-35 mm. of laden sag. For suspension tuning procedures, Google Total Control Training, go to the site, and download the Suspension 101 e-book; it's in pdf, it's free, and it's excellent.

Consider Hagon shocks as well; lots of bang for the buck.

The extra height makes a nice difference in cornering. I put new triumph bonneville shocks on mine. About 3/4 inch longer than stock. Sprung a little stiff for my 160lbs though. But its better than the bottom out of the old worn ones.

Thanks for the great info. I decided to go with the more expensive Progressive 12 series shock so I could get up tothe 13.5 inch height (vs 13 inch with the cheaper 14 series (and 11.5 inch where I am at now)) in addition to getting a better shock. Plus, I was able to get the springs in black which saves me money from powdercoating or painting. So all in all, I am getting the height I wanted and a black spring for probably the same price in the end. Can't wait to get them on!

Last edited:
Do you have a part number for the shocks? I have looked and cant find it anywhere and Progressive just says they dont list a shock that length for an XS.

Chain clearance won't be an issue with the Series 12, but the chain guard has to be modified to clear the preload adjuster and bottom of the spring. Plan on some quality time with the bench grinder and BFH.

Back