Proper top clamp seat

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering where the top triple tree seats on the steering stem on stock bikes? Probably 80's 35 mm front end. I'm asking this cause i had to modify my 35mm stem to fit my 73 frame. I will post pics later. Just wondering if the top triple has to sit all the way down on the notch on the stem or is it O.k if it it is a bit higher so the top nut can snug it down.

The top face of the top triple sits above the top of the stem a bit in the stock set up.
The washer head bolt pulls it down against the jam nuts. Then tighten the stem clamp bolt and the tube clamp bolts. Finally tighten the axle clamp bolts. Check for alignment and smooth fork action, sometimes it can be improved by indexing the tubes in the triples. (these bikes are old, perfectly straight tubes probably aren't the norm) After a few days riding recheck the jam nuts.

Just to be curious Gary, what is a bit?
That's good news for me, Gary. I wasn't sure if i measured wrong. What i did was take the 73 stem and put it side by side with the later stem and measure where the top bearing will seat on the stem. I measured it to be 7/16 of an inch.
|Took it to a machine shop and they spun the old weld on the bottom added some to the lower stem where the bearing seated, milled it and voila.
I read that some guys took about 1/2 or more off the later stem to fit so i left a little on in case i f'ed up. Turns out it is good. Just have to weld up the bottom.

Oh about this much....

stem%20002.JPG

Thanks for this question by the way. I put in taper rollers about a week ago and your question got me off dead center and I rechecked my stem nuts. Yup the bearings were a bit loose, this should stop a bit of clickiness I could feel as I braked to a stop.
After trying to use my home made stem nut spanners with the top triple on, I cut away some of the end to aid getting it under there. Yes I loosened and re-tightened all the top triple pinch bolts. Really should remove the gas tank to do this....
stem%20003.JPG

Thanks for the pic, Gary. I think i'm dead nuts on with my measurement. Finally I did something right on the first shot.

Do the taper rollers change the spacing? That's what i am putting in. I had stock cups and balls in there when i measured.

I think no change, my headlight ears fit exactly the same before and after changing to tapered rollers. (they fit between the top and bottom triples)

Back