Proposed Big Twin body kit for 650? A question for you

omar104

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Proposed Big Twin body kit for 650? A question for you

Hello members
My name is Phil Little. I created the Street tracker and Manx conversion kits for 650s when I owned Omars Dirt Track Racing. I have a new body kit called the Storm, and you can see it on my new site Phil Little Racing.com. But that is not why I write.

I am thinking of making another new kit for 650 Specials to look like a big twin Harley. Do you think it would sell?

This kit would very modestly priced (under $1000) because it would be only two full fenders, side covers which would be part of a wide Harley-like saddle. I would have customers use the stock tank to keep things cheap. I might do a front valance kit which would cover the upper forks and trees, surround the stock light and graduate into a very low fairing which would cover the stock gauges. The idea is to take a stock stock bike with stock suspension and by cutting the rear loop, just bolt on a bunch of body parts for a complete change of appearance.

I see nothing like it 'out there' which means my idea is completely dumb or has merit. That's why you are involved. Tell me how smart or stupid I am. Thanks
Phil Little
litadv@aol.com
952-935-8833

I don't foresee that being a big seller. At least not around here. Nothing about the XS screams Harley wannabe. IMO.

I sorta agree with Roy. The look of a Harley is derived from the V twin imho. The parallel twin on the XS lends itself more towards the look of a Bonnie if you want to clone something. I'm still waiting to see the finished results of your RXL project.

I hate harleys. That's why I have an xs650, chopped.

I hate chrome too.

but I'm the minority and I like it that way. I can't even imagine what your kit would look like. There are so many harley clones out there now from all the major mfgrs.

What would be cool for the xs would be different tank designs and / or fenders. So we have more options when we chop/bob them. And a damn fender mount and/or sissy bar that is bolt on, not a damn kit.

deleted by user.

Attachments

• Storm_week8b.jpg
    Storm_week8b.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Ace, as for me I am not "turning my nose up" at Phils work. I know of him and the neat stuff he makes for bikes and sleds. Thats why I asked him about the RXL project that I have have had several e-mails with him about it almost a year ago.He asked for opinions.

Yes, I seen the Storm when he was mocking it up last summer. I remember when the Huricane by Vetter came out. Hope I didn't come across as a arse.

You didn't Dave, but it was obvious that some where throwing out opinions without even a glance. Felt like that was unfair to Phil, so I put up the link and a pic to at least make it "clickable".

jd750ace,
I've looked at his projects, and yes, the Storm is nice, but he's talking about a completely different project. A product that would make an XS650 look like a Harley, that's why they are bristling. In my experience, not too many XS enthusiasts are into Harleys.
Phil,
I don't think sales would be sufficient to justify the capital outlay, especially in terms of your time. I spent several years producing fiberglass parts, so I know the effort put into a plug and mold can be pretty significant.

DLD1

Wow guys, you are coming through loud and clear-bag the Harley look for a parallel twin. I do thank you. Alright I have another 650 concept I call Beach Storm. I don’t know how to label it…maybe just custom. Again just a bunch of bolt-on parts without major frame changes. If I could figure out to down load the art, I could show it to you. I could email it to one of you who is smarter than I then you could whip it on the screen. My eaddress is litadv@aol.com
Phil

Phil,
I've been looking at your Storm for quite some time and I really like it. I always loved the Vetter designs and the Tracy bodies from back in the day. As for Harley clones. I love Harleys but I don't want my XS to be a Harley. I'll be back to look at your Beach Storm.

Also, like others have said, more options for tanks and fenders might be a better way to go.

Phil,

While the XS650 purists (including me) will certainly not embrace a Harley-clone kit, I'm guessing that there is a market for your concept. Like it or not the Harley look sells.

What percentage of potential motorcycle buyers are going to be hard core XSers? What percent are going to know little or nothing about motorcycles, not have 20K to send to Milwaukie and will respond to a basic look?

What percentage of buyers do you need to make money on your product?

This may be something that a shop would want to do and sell the complete bike rather than something someone with an XS would want to do to their own bike.

Hmmmm, one bright spot thanks. Most seem to go the other way and I respect it. It's hard to judge volume but one would want major enthusism to do a launch
Thanks
Phil

Back