Pulling the battery box

NewToXs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any insight into pulling the battery box out?

I want to remove and replace the TCI on an 1980 special and I’m about to flip out. The tci screws will strip the heads long before they come out with the box in place so I’m trying to pull the whole box out.

Is the secret pulling the rear wheel and rear splash gaurd and take it out the back?

Had to walk away for the evening before I get to mad.

Well, yes, that's the easiest way, but it's said it will come out with those things still installed. It's just a matter of twisting and turning it just the right way, lol. Unfortunately, I don't know what that is, lol, so I pull the wheel and inner fender.

If I recall correctly, looking down from the top you twist it clockwise 90 degrees and it comes out the right side. The trick is the notches in the top of the battery box. You have to lift the box up into those notches and rotate the bottom of it out first. And the rest slides down and out. I may not be 100 % on that but I believe that’s how it comes out. I recall struggling much like you.

It's a toss up on going out the back or out the side........no fun.
I've remounted TCI's to the side of the battery box or laid them over the top of the battery, either way the unit is still cushioned as intended.

I gave up long ago - only way it’s not turning into screaming kicking and yelling is remove rear wheel and the plastic mud guard. And it still require twisting and turning haha good luck

If I recall correctly, looking down from the top you twist it clockwise 90 degrees and it comes out the right side. The trick is the notches in the top of the battery box. You have to lift the box up into those notches and rotate the bottom of it out first. And the rest slides down and out. I may not be 100 % on that but I believe that’s how it comes out. I recall struggling much like you.

What he said,
985D8B97-35F4-40E1-997B-C9DD9A39D771.jpeg

I’ve done it a couple of times just like that. Be patient, and you might want to put some blue painters tape on your frame. The first time I got frustrated and just started yanking on it and I scratched my frame up. 😄
Just take your time.
Edit: Have a look in here, there’s some photos on how it comes out.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/how-the-heck-do-you-remove-the-battery-box.48015/

Last edited:
I never got it out but by dropping the rear splash guard I was able to twist it upside down in order to get to the screws of the TCI.

New used TCI is in and she’s running again. Hopefully the TCI fixes my 1500-3000 rpm stumble.

That’s funny because I got my battery box out of my ‘75 with seemingly no issues but a few weeks ago when I was installing it back into the frame it quickly became a rasslin match. Ultimately I won but wow….. I guess if you’re not thinking about it…..

Back