purchasing a chain etc

cobrasneverdie

el guapo
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some a quick help here.

I got a 79 converting to a bobber. I read on here somewhere at some point that if you change the chain you need to change the sprocket as well. I am doing so, I will be buying a front and rear sprocket. I believe that my spec is 530/104. I will be buying a tc bros hard tail. So where I'm stuck here is what type of sprocket I need, if I am buying both new, what advantage do I have over 530 vs 520. (if someone can explain this to me like I'm a five year old that'd be great haha)

I also would like to know what kind of chain is good to purchase, I wanted to get a coloured one.

530 O-ring chain is an over-dog and will last forever. The lighter weight of a 520 is not worth much. Certainly not worth the pain of getting the front sprocket torqued up right so the output shaft don't leak. If you want a colored chain, EK makes a nice chain. You can get chromed side plates from Drag Specialties too if you just have the cash to throw around. About the same money as powder coated colored chains. Shop it around some and you should be able to get a chain in the $120.00 range. With hard tails, I'd measure up and see where you are, as many are having to go to 112 links or so to get appropriate slack. If the chain is too tight, it tends to create vibration at certain frequencies. Search hard tail chain link count here on the forum. Several discussions, including skate wheel VS sprocket type tensioners.

Not really. They just have to be installed with the nut really tight (like 90 ft/lbs) or you get an oil leak. Many of these hardtail sections are extended 2" or 4". That would no doubt require a longer chain. You're not going to find a 104 link chain anyway unless you get it from a specific 650 place. Aftermarket chains usually come in 10 link increments, like 100, 110, 120, etc. I would wait until I had the hardtail installed, fit my old stock chain, and see if it comes up short.

I wouldn't recommend the 520 set-up. All the components generally cost more and wear faster. The weight savings may be of value if you were racing but on a hardtail bobber? I don't think so.

Back