General help.

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've been jumping in on other threads if I can keep it on topic. I'm going to start my own and add inquiries here.
1st one is, I am ordering a chain and I want to replace my rear wheel bearings and I suppose seals. I see a how to in tech but the pics that identify parts are no longer there. Can someone tell me which 2 bearings and what seals are needed for rear rim? I see mikes has an all balls set but I'm ordering a sprocket and an Izumi chain from xs650direct which has Koyo bearings. What are thoughts on Izumi and koyo?

Looks like 63042 and 63052 for bearings. 0654 0655 for seals that's 2 bearings and 2 seals as per manual.

I've installed many AllBalls kits with no issues, but I'd expect the Koyo bearings would be at least as good. I have no experience with the Izumi chain but it's listed as Japanese so likely good too

1681479453835.png

what I expected about the bearings not about the chain. It Os the 530ht I was going to order. They have o ring 530, 530h, and 530ht. What brand did Yamaha use as stock chain in 1980? The oem chain has such closer tolerance and lasted way longer than my JC whitny hd. I still have the oem for emergency.

I will avoid all balls if I can get another bearing from a known Japanese/German manufacturer.

All balls doesn’t manufacture bearings, they source and market - multiple supplies (uk,Germany,china,India,Japan) means you don’t know what your getting. (But they most like work fine)

Izumi is a big supplier of cam chains in the CB world and Yamiya sells them so that would at least speak to a decent quality. (Yamiya is exactly the opposite of MikesXS but for the Honda world - super high quality parts, oem and in-house reproduction, and excellent customer support).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
Next query, I want an 11 mm bore front MC with mirror mount. I see new ones but I wouldn't be aposed to getting a used one and rebuild if needed.

I want these. Momza slim line 12 3/4". It states fit 1970-73, what would I need to mount them on my 1980 special?

Product Id: 06-3614
Shock Absorber Set - (Monza Slimline) Chrome Springs with Chrome shock body. 12 3/4" (324mm) eye to eye. 10.2mm ID top & bottom. Fits: XS1/XS1b/XS2/TX650 (1970-73)

At one time Koyo and Timken were the gold standard for bearings. Still are I suppose.

The Monza shocks from Mike's and Dime City are junk. Save your money and find a better alternative. You get what you pay for. If looking for new try Hagon or Progressive. They will run you a few hundred but are good options. If you are on a budget, you can find used shocks from newer models to fit. I've used shocks from Triumph T-100 with good success. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of a set of shocks and what your riding style will be. Many rabbit holes can be found using the search function.

The Monza shocks from Mike's and Dime City are junk. Save your money and find a better alternative. I've used shocks from Triumph T-100 with good success.
Those T-100 shocks are currently on my SG. I'm happy with 'em.

Agree with Rob. Tried the shocks from Mikes... Junk. Way too stiff with very little dampening I could feel. I only paid 20 bucks for 'em off Ebay. If I'd payed new for 'em, I'd be pissed.

When you do the rear wheel bearings, don't forget about that top hat shaped spacer fitted into the left side bearing, part #20 in the drawing above. It must be reclaimed and reused, fitted into the new bearing. Many don't even realize it's there and throw it away with the old bearing. Then the bearing I.D. (25mm) is too big to fit the 20mm axle.

I looked in the manual for part #s on bearings and seals. 2seals and 2 bearings where listed for the sg sf supplement. Does the pic above of spoked wheel open view use same as mags?
I will keep aware of that part 2m.

Next next question, I want to get genuine mikuni jets emulsion tube and needle if possible. I also want genuine oem mikuni needle valve and seat.
Thanks for all input.

What mod is needed for the top bushing? Are standard and Special shocks the same length?
The eye of the bushing is different size on the T100. Easy fix though. Just press out the metal sleeve inside the bushing from your stock shock and swap it out in the T100 shock. If the bushing is wore out, you can buy replacement bushing kits from Mikes.

Other than main & pilot jets, genuine Mikuni BS34 parts are very hard to find

The needle jet and needle are unavailable so far as I know. However, I have used the non-US 336-Y-0/51X11 combo I got from yamahaxs650.com with good results (same for float valve and pilot plugs)

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/needle-jet-336-y0/

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/jet-needle-5ix11/

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/carb-float-valve-needle-seat-4/

https://yamahaxs650.com/product-cat...de-needles-needle-jets-mixture-screws/page/2/

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/rubber-pilot-jet-passage-plug/

Back