Putting engine and pma system together?

kartoon82nd

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Rob and I am working on my first bike build. I bought a 1982 XS 650 motor. I tore it apart to replace the gaskets, clutch and pistons along with some of the hardware. I didn't get into the bottom end of it seeing on how new I am with this. My question is I have started to put the top end together. Now I don't know anything about the ignition, electrical. Should I close the engine up with out the PMA system or should I put the PMA system in then do the cam chain and so on. Should I put the old rotor on and put the rest of the engine together then replace the rotor with the new PMA system. I have the pistons on and the cylinders in place but not the rotor. Can I continue with the build then put the PMA system on or should I take off the pistons and cyclinders so I can lock the engine and put the PMA system on? I have a manuel and it helps but I am still over my head. Any and all info would be great. Thanks.
Rob

Ya like jamesgs4 says, do it last. It's really kind of a seperate component from a top end rebuild. BTW it along with a Pamco ignition are two of the best upgrades you can do for your XS. Many here swear by the original charging system, but not I

Like the folks above said, get your internals fully assembled, and once you have the engine in the Chassis, you can install your charging system and ignition... It'll be lighter and easier to maneuver into the chassis that way :thumbsup:

Back