Question about clip-on bars

jonez2k1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks!
I'm finally getting my cafe project going & I've decided to go with clip-on's but I have a question:
Is there a difference in the quality of clip-on's? If so, what's there to consider besides the mounting (if that isnt a big deal)?
I dont wanna just make a purchase and find that there's a "low-end" & a "high-end" clip-on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

There most certainly is a difference. Very good clip-ons can be very expensive. Bad clip-ons can cost a lot too, lol. It seems just the name "clip-on" implies you can charge an arm and a leg for them. I have a set of these, very expensive but very nice, and fully adjustable .....

http://www.kedo.com/products/30079.html

You have to be pretty committed to run clip-ons. They are very unforgiving and can be quite uncomfortable. That's why adjustable ones are so nice. At least you can get some degree of comfort out of them, lol.

Lol,
Thanks! I'm about to check them out now...
And I've heard about the clip-ons being unforgiving AND uncomfortable..
Is it like riding a crotch-rocket all day or worse b/c it's on an xs?

There most certainly is a difference. Very good clip-ons can be very expensive. Bad clip-ons can cost a lot too, lol. It seems just the name "clip-on" implies you can charge an arm and a leg for them. I have a set of these, very expensive but very nice, and fully adjustable .....

http://www.kedo.com/products/30079.html

You have to be pretty committed to run clip-ons. They are very unforgiving and can be quite uncomfortable. That's why adjustable ones are so nice. At least you can get some degree of comfort out of them, lol.

If your forks are 35mm then any bar designed to fit that tube size will work. The Woodcraft look nice. You may want to start out with something cheap and simple like a $20 set of drag bars just to see if you can hack the riding position and possible discomfort issues. If you can, start searching eBay for some nice used clip-ons. I got my Telefix bars used and paid no where near the new price.

Its not as comfortable as a sport bike no.

And we know how they are..

The seating position on a sport bike has a lot of r&d going into it to make it optimal for performance riding. IE Seat angle, seat height, rear set position, reach, etc.

Putting them on an xs, your just moving the bars a bit forward and down..So sit straight, then lean forward and down and put all your weight on your wrists. Comfy yet?

Im not saying don't do it, but be aware..

You will want to throw some rear sets on as well

Stock controls and clip on's is just silly

Damn Tron..... Lololol
But I feel you........................... Not sounding too good.

Its not as comfortable as a sport bike no.

And we know how they are..

The seating position on a sport bike has a lot of r&d going into it to make it optimal for performance riding. IE Seat angle, seat height, rear set position, reach, etc.

Putting them on an xs, your just moving the bars a bit forward and down..So sit straight, then lean forward and down and put all your weight on your wrists. Comfy yet?

Im not saying don't do it, but be aware..

My all time favorite clip on was the 'swans neck' Moto Guzzi V7 sport stock bars. with a bottom mount headlight you would have 5 or so inches of adjustment on the rise, from quite low to something a little higher than superbike bars. As I recall those old Guzzi's had 35mm forks, maybe someone is making repros.

I checked them out. they're not necessarily what I'm looking for with this build though.
There's actually a set of those exact bars on ebay now for $99.

My all time favorite clip on was the 'swans neck' Moto Guzzi V7 sport stock bars. with a bottom mount headlight you would have 5 or so inches of adjustment on the rise, from quite low to something a little higher than superbike bars. As I recall those old Guzzi's had 35mm forks, maybe someone is making repros.

Back