Question about rotor and charging.

If you still have the old original mechanical regulator, it probably just needs to be adjusted to increase it's max output a little .....

Reg Adjust.JPG

Check both gaps first. On my '78, they were off and just re-setting them correctly raised the output. I didn't even need to mess with the adjustment screw. But eventually I replaced this antique with an automotive VR115. It works much better, much more consistent output. Once I installed a voltmeter, I noticed the output on the original was all over the place, often dropping off at higher RPMs when it should have been giving max output. All I can figure is the vibrations mess with the points inside it.

If you still have the old original mechanical regulator, it probably just needs to be adjusted to increase it's max output a little .....

View attachment 251559

Check both gaps first. On my '78, they were off and just re-setting them correctly raised the output. I didn't even need to mess with the adjustment screw. But eventually I replaced this antique with an automotive VR115. It works much better, much more consistent output. Once I installed a voltmeter, I noticed the output on the original was all over the place, often dropping off at higher RPMs when it should have been giving max output. All I can figure is the vibrations mess with the points inside it.
Yep ,
Switched it out to one from a jeep as per the write up in here , vr727 I believe .
Have to switch out the rectifier next.
I went with the one for an xs 400
Hopefully it all works.

Back