Question about rotor and charging.

Use a fuse but open the connector, ground the blue wire on the harness side, see if it's really the neutral bulb ground..
Then start testing on the stator side and find the wire that is connected to the neutral switch.
It'll take a little bit but you should be able to match up all the wires to where they SHOULD be the wires can be removed from the connector by pushing back a little tab from the back side to release the spade connector from the block.
Will do,
It will probably be sometime this week til I get very far with it ,
But I’ll see if I can get anywhere with it tonight

Did you check that the rotor winding aren't shorted to the rotor body? Each ring to the case should be open on 200 and 20KΩ scale.

I'll add this too....
You said above that your old stator checked good. Those things are pretty much bullet proof/indestructible.... unlike the one you got from Mikes which is mostly Chinese junk. If it were me, I'd put the old one back in and run with it.

My best guess is you will be swapping the green and blue wires. That green goes from 12 volts down to 1.2 volts is because its going THROUGH the neutral bulb. disconnect green at brushes turn on ign, Watch the neutral light when you touch green to the brush block. Bet it goes on.
Yah know WAIT I vaguely remember maybe there was a thing on these hrnesses where the green and black were switched.
Anyhow it won't take that much to sort the three wires as to which goes where, the whites all just match up in any order.

Did you check that the rotor winding aren't shorted to the rotor body? Each ring to the case should be open on 200 and 20KΩ scale.
Here’s what I just did

By the body you mean the silver part that makes the magnetic field?

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3360.jpeg
    IMG_3360.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3363.jpeg
    IMG_3363.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3364.jpeg
    IMG_3364.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3366.jpeg
    IMG_3366.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 33
My best guess is you will be swapping the green and blue wires. That green goes from 12 volts down to 1.2 volts is because its going THROUGH the neutral bulb. disconnect green at brushes turn on ign, Watch the neutral light when you touch green to the brush block. Bet it goes on.
Yah know WAIT I vaguely remember maybe there was a thing on these hrnesses where the green and black were switched.
Anyhow it won't take that much to sort the three wires as to which goes where, the whites all just match up in any order.
Correct 👍
Then when I switch them like in these photos.
I get 10. Whatever at the brush ,
It does run but not as well and it doesn’t charge.

Attachments

• IMG_3370.jpeg
    IMG_3370.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 31
If you do want to buy an off-the-shelf rotor - don't buy it from Mike's! - buy it from https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-Yamaha-Rotor-41_400

Of course the best solution - if ya can wait - is to holler @
[/QUOTE]
If you do want to buy an off-the-shelf rotor - don't buy it from Mike's! - buy it from https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-Yamaha-Rotor-41_400

Of course the best solution - if ya can wait - is to holler @Jim

Will do, thanks for that .
I’ll pick up another one and go that route.

Yours is done too JP, it'll make it's way home with the valve cutters.

Sorry for the hijack, back to you...

Got hit with a storm and the pow
ers out ,
So started digging into this.

YES They had it wired wrong.

Wonder if I can get anything done about that ?🤔
Especially since I sent emails asking about that specifically.

Brown from ignition powers the regulator Green is from regulator to positive brush

and the blue one goes to the neutral.

Now,
What have I damaged running it that way ?

Thanks for the help everyone.

The wiring harness was wired incorrectly from wherever mixes get it from.

Numuerous emails to them trying to explain what they did .
They insisted it was just the wrong color wire used , or that I installed it wrong.

Not too surprising from what I read .

Anyway it runs and seems to charge.
It’s around 12-12.5then with some revs it’s around 13.5
Stills little low ? But better

Now I’m messing with the points , timing , and advance.
I’m sure I’ll have questions about that too.

thanks again 🙂

Back