Question about Springer front end

T6h6o6r

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the stock XS650 wheel cannot be used for a Springer front end? Every one that i have looked at says that you need to convert to a Harley front wheel, And I was just wondering, what's the difference? And why can't the stock wheel be made to work? And If it CAN than what would be required in order to make it work? Just trying to get a better understanding of it, and would really appreciate if someone could clear all that up for me. Thanks a bunch!

Most springer front ends are set-up to run 3/4" (19mm) dia. axles, the stock Yamaha front wheel uses a 17mm axle with a bearing size of 17x47x14 (6303*2RS). You can obtain wheel bearings with dimensions of .75"x47mmx14mm (6204-2RS-3/4) that will fit the Yamaha hub and the springer. That allows the traditional 3/4" "double-ended" axle to be run that is typical on the springers. The speedo drive cannot be used and you will have to custom make appropriate spacers. Springer style front caliper mounts can be used and a custom anchor arm fabricated.

Well, I am in the process of building my own springer front end in the machine shop at my local community college, where I am in the final semester of the machinists program. So if I were to just machine the rockers to accept a 17mm axle, then I should be able to run a stock wheel/axle? And in that case would I still not be able to use the speedo drive?

Yes that can certainly be done. The stock Yamaha axle has a long collar on one side that is designed to be clamped into the lower fork tube; an unusual design for a springer. If you can find the appropriate shaft, one could make a straight through "double ended" axle with 14mm threads too. If the axle is 17mm, you could use the stock speedo drive. There may be some difficulty in fitting the typical style caliper mount - if a bunting bushing with a 17mm ID and 19mm OD can be sourced an off the shelf caliper mounts would work that way too

It’s doable, anything is, jpdevol hit it on the head with what you have to do. The bigger question is why? It’s so much easier and even more effective to just use an HD front wheel. Why, because springers and Harley’s go together, everything from bushings to spacers to axle play well together. Moving forward as well, if you decide to change your front wheel your not tasked with the work of once again figuring out what works if you have it set up for a HD front wheel. Harley has arguably the best aftermarket parts industry in the game and personally I like options.

With that being said, considering that your going to be making customs rockers in that situation to accommodate your 17mm front axle, I’d just plan on turning up a custom double ended 17mm axle and spacers on a lathe. You can even make your own bushings at the same time win win. You need the bushings jpdevol is reffering to for your brake caliper, but you also need bushings for your rocker studs.

Yea, after some sleep, I think the 3/4 ID bearings in the Yammy hub and do everything in 19mm (3/4"). I've not done it, but perhaps the speedo drive can be bored to work. As ECE says: opens up much more possibilities in the future

Depends on the OP, I have a mech. drive on both XS. There's also electronic meters out there that use a magnet and a sensor somewhere on front wheel or brake rotor:shrug:

That's interesting I never knew about those electronic rotor mounted speedo sensors... Then again, I've only ever worked on a handful of bikes and this here XS is the first one I have really gone all-in. Definitely has become my new passion, I'm trying to build up my knowledge and skill set so i can get a job as a bike mechanic or at a shop that builds custom bikes or something. That's my #1 goal right now. Anyways, back to the topic of discussion, Im gonna look into the idea of boring out the stock speedo drive, cause hey why not it's already there which = less shit to buy. If it seems questionable or flat out not happening, at that point I'll start exploring other options...

...So, the consensus it seems is to swap the wheel bearings on the mags to 3/4" and run a 19mm or 3/4" axle? Any recommendations for a good steel to turn an axle from? There's gotta be crazy stresses and insane amounts of force riding on that thing (literally) so it would seem to me that not just any ol bar stock would fit the bill lol... Maybe something like 4130?

Is a speedometer really necessary?
If I want to ride on the streets in California and not catch a fine then yes I'm afraid so. Of all the places I've lived and rode bikes, I've never been pulled over anywhere near as many times as I have in this city, and usually for bullshit just so they can look over your bike and see if there's anything they can write you up for... Shit, back in Hawaii I used to fly down the road in surf shorts, t shirt, and sunglasses, no helmet (young and reckless) and don't think I was ever stopped once... Or maybe it was that I just wouldn't stop... That's right. With all those sugar cane fields and the maze of service roads connecting them there's no reason to ever stop! And they know as well as you that they ain't got a snowballs chance in hell of catching you... Even on a little 250 Virago chopper!

Back