Question about xs2 carb choke body

fullercameron

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any information about the 1972 bs38 choke body. I have a parts catalog, but on the xs2 diagram, it shows the plunger assembly, but for some reason it doesn't have the choke body on the drawing.

I am having an issue with my left carb intermittently running rich. Some rides, I come back and the plug looks pretty good. Other times, the plug comes out black. Settings are the same on both carbs, and the right one has not ever had any issue with carbon on the plug. I have changed out the plugs to make sure it wasn't just a bad plug and I'm still having the problem only on the left side.

Took the carbs off and checked all the passages, float height, etc. I have JBM diaphragms and intakes, and have replaced throttle shaft seals. I plugged the hole on the mouth of the carb, and the right slide stays up considerably longer than the left. I checked the diaphragms for pinholes and they both look completely sound with no holes or tears. Out of curiosity, I lifted the choke plunger and tried the slide test - with the plunger up, the slide falls immediately. Since the open choke has a direct effect on the slide falling, I was thinking that perhaps the choke plunger isn't sealing properly when closed and that this is the reason the slide falls faster on the left side since it is the carb with the choke. Also, I thought that the poor sealing choke plunger could also be the cause of richness on the left because some fuel is seeping past the plunger and enriching the left side mix.

I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me if:
1. There is a way to test if the plunger is sealing
2. If there is supposed to be a gasket between the carb and choke body on the '72 bs38 (mine has no gasket)
3. does anyone think that this could actually be the problem
4. can I just replace the choke plunger, or would it be better to replace the entire choke body (not sure if the body might have worn on the inside of the bore - this is also why I was wondering if there is a part # for the choke body since it isn't on the diagram)

Thanks in advance for any help. Again.

I pretty sure you have only one choke and it's shared between both carbs via a crossover tube. I would think that if it's leaking, both carbs would run rich. I would look for something specific to that carb only like it's float or float needle and seat.

5twins

There is only one choke. I am using aftermarket needle and seat, so I ordered some genuine mikuni parts the other day and will see if this fixes the problem.

Does anyone think that the choke has anything to do with the slide falling? And would this cause a problem?

The slide doesn't drop immediately, it just doesn't hang quite as well as the right carb.

I'll keep at it. Thanks.

Back