Question for those with powdercoated hubs:

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Question for those who run spoked wheels and have powdercoated (or painted I guess) their hubs:

How did you handle the spoke holes? Did you cover them or just paint away?

How are they holding up with the spokes now in there under load? Any chipping or similar?

And finally: Got any pics? haha.

Pete, I've just had mine powder coated silver and built onto new rims with stainless spokes. If I can get my arse in gear here is a pic:
20180413_183913.jpg

I'll take some closeups if you'd like a bit more detail.
So far so good but it's not been ridden yet! So maybe you'd like an update after a few miles have been ridden .... that will take a while as it's not registered yet.

Very nice Nighthog! Have you coated your polished alloy side covers? I found the salt on the roads this Winter attacked mine so I have to lightly hose the bike off after each ride.

Paul, those side covers don't look so good in closeup. They have just had a bit of Solvol Autosol for now but I intend to do a better job later. I did follow gggGary's advice on the fork sliders and brake plate though (did a more serious job on them) and applied a coat of Briwax.
MOT next week, then I can get it registered. More changes to come but can't wait to start riding!
Pete - I went straight from the powder coater to the wheel builder so didn't have a close look, but don't think the holes were masked. He did a great job masking all the crucial stuff like the bearing recesses though.
I'll take some more pics in a day or two ... bike is garaged away from home, more's the pity .

Back