Question of the day?? Would you pay more for USA Made products???

I work with a lot of Germans and Hungarians right now, and they all are buying big cars and motorcycles to drive around here, because even their own products have a 25-35% VAT, or value added tax, which is essentially a sin tax for spending the money on something that you "want" rather than "needd" They can come over here and buy a 10 year old Suburban for less than the VAT would be on the same vehicle over there, and they sell them to the new guys when they rotate in!
Now, consider that you have a VAT on a Volkswagon 4 door, and a Caddie, that would normally be comperably priced. There is a 15-25% import duty on the caddy. The reason foreign car manufacturers have built so many plants here is so we can't do the same thing to blast them out of the market. They are smarter than our system, which is not hard to believe.
I say, every damn one of those shipping containers that comes into the United States gets a flat rate $5,000.00 import duty on it tomorrow, regardless of what's in it. There's probably 5 million worth of them a week at that rate pumped into Dallas Ft. Worth! Just drive down I-45 south of I-20 and look to the west of the road.
It is disgusting the things our government will do to it's own people to raise money, but God forbid, you charge admission to foreign business! I have to go throw up now.

Well put. Japan charges a 25% import tax on cars (also a heap of other fees) so an American car will cost 25% more there for just this reason

I like the concept but I don't feel the US Government should be the one to benefit, nor do I feel the business owners should be the benefiting party either. If the US workers reaped the rewards of such a taxation by equitable redistribution of the appropriated funds then everyone gets a little of the give & take. But seriously though, I don't trust the systems in current play ta implement any sort of package.

Back