Question on the new Keihins from Mikes

Tech7

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Would one of you guys that has the new Keihins from Mikes have the diameter on the intake side of the carbs? Wondering if I could use them to replace the tired BS34's on my Suzuki. Thanks.

I got them on my Xs.They are 32mm.The spigot Od is 40mm.Measure your carbs spigot OD and the dimension do match then order a set.The carb mouth(bell) Od is 54mm.

Just to verify. If my carb holders are 40mm ID, they should fit. (I suppose, if I really had to, I could make intake manifolds) I'll pull them off tomorrow. Thanks man.

If your carb spigots measure 40mm Od the Keihins would fit.The carbs spigot groove could be a little off but meaby not.

Last edited:
Tech7, the BS34 spigot OD is 42 mm. Sudco may have mounts that will work for you; measure the screw holes center-to-center and give them a call.

Well, I pulled the carbs off the Suk this morning. My BS34's are indeed 42mm. So my carb holders wont work on the Keihins. BUT, I had some old XS carb holders. Compared them to the Suzuki. The bore is exactly the same, and the bolt holes are off about 2mm. So, I think if I get the Mikes kit, I can massage the new holders to fit the Suzuki head. Now, you think those carbs will work on my GS450? I like the idea of mechanical slides. I'm thinking I may need to lean them out a bit. But that shouldn't be a problem, ya think? Anything has to be better than the emmision compliant BS34's that came on it in 1980. Worse comes to worse, I could put the Keihins on my XS if I should have problems with my 38's. Thanks for the help guys.

The kit cames with 2 sizes of mains and 2 sizes of pilots beside those mounted on the carbs.Oh....the kit also has the rubber manifold and the alluminum spacers.You don't need to buy anything else.You could need to file the mounting holes on the manifold flanges or shorten the cable for your application.The kit also cames with 2 fuel lines black hoses and 2 clear lines for the floats overflow.It does not get better then this for $299.00.

You might want to try to make some aluminum spacers that will work on your GS450.

This is what mikesxs says about the spacers when used on the XS650:

An essential component of the Keihin XS PWK 32 Flatside carb kit.

Fits: To any XS650 Head and improves low end power and acceleration.
Dyno developed to provide maximum low RPM Torque and optimum throttle
response on the XS PWK flatslide carb set.

I'm not sure if the same holds true when the PWKs are used on a GS450 but I would think they would be similar as far as needing the spacers unless the GS450 already has a long intake tract.

Getting thse carbs to work on your GS450 might not be as easy as you would think. A lot of factors go into setting up carbs for a specific motorcycle. Mikes has already done the hard work in getting these set up for the XS650 and I don't know if just a main jet and pilot jet change will be all that is required when you try to use them on a GS450. It might take a lot of changes, time, money, and frustration to get them right.. :twocents:

I don't think there will be any problems. Mikes XS website says about the carb holders: "Note: Made with Ethanol resistant material."

You might want to try to make some aluminum spacers that will work on your GS450.

This is what mikesxs says about the spacers when used on the XS650:

I'm not sure if the same holds true when the PWKs are used on a GS450 but I would think they would be similar as far as needing the spacers unless the GS450 already has a long intake tract.

Getting thse carbs to work on your GS450 might not be as easy as you would think. A lot of factors go into setting up carbs for a specific motorcycle. Mikes has already done the hard work in getting these set up for the XS650 and I don't know if just a main jet and pilot jet change will be all that is required when you try to use them on a GS450. It might take a lot of changes, time, money, and frustration to get them right.. :twocents:

Yeah, I know there are definite unknowns in this equation. But I think they'd be better than what I got, are a good deal, and if they don't work well on the GS, I can always use them on my XS. As far as the spacers, I could probably make them work, or as you say, make some new ones. I really got nothing to lose, and I just may get lucky, and maybe learn some shit along the way. I got time. It's all fun. Thanks Trav.

Well it sounds like you know what you could be getting yourself into and have an out (putting them on the XS650), a positive attitude about it, the willingness to learn, and time to spare! Go for it! :cheers:

Back