questions about carburator...

jurand

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi,

pic below shows one of my carburators (80 special). have also very similar carb on second xs from '81. my question is: how can I find out what carb is it? (34 or 38?) I would like to buy K&N style offset oval pods from 650 central - there are four options with different diameter. is this diameter from "entry" side of carb? second pic and second question: what do you do with this tube going from the top of engine to old filterboxes? third pic: central stand - is it worth saving or should I cut it off. and fourth: passenger footpegs. I think about visual impact brat kit so pegs and brackets are going off, but from right side there is other bracket fixed to footpegs bracket holding exhaust. I plan using straight pipes(maybe with inserts) so I was thinking new tabs? how do you solve this? and last: I was reading that you often use Honda Rebel springs with VisualImpact kit. Did somebody of you use Suzuki Savage springs? thanks for answers...

Attachments

• CARB.JPG
    CARB.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 86
  • CARB2.JPG
    CARB2.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 93
  • bk1.jpg
    bk1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 104
  • bk2.jpg
    bk2.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
1. BS34 carbs 1980 and newer. Measure the outside diameter of the inlet side of the carb should be 55mm.

2. Buy a small crankcase vent most auto suppy have them about $10.. or Mikes XS.

3. Toss the center stand

4. Mikes XS has some inexpensive fialy nice shodks 11 - 13.5""

Toss that center stand then start on a way to get the rear wheel in the air to work on it. 3 2x8's screwed together work well with a lever bar and not much bulkier strapped to the back when you go someplace.

thanks guys,

ippytattoo,
"...info on model identification..."
I've seen this earlier, but lost info, where I can find this, so thx

gentlemanjim,
checked size and it is ca. 54.80 so my carbs are definitely bs34.
shortest shocks from mikesxs are #06-3608. eye to eye 11.5" and still one inch longer than rebel/savage shocks. btw: did somebody use this shocks? how good are they?

weekendrider,
tossing centerstand is no problem, I have hydraulic mc stand in garage. but is always nice to amaze guys at work when I rev up my bike.

I've had to take a wheel off on the side of the road. Ain't happening without a center stand. Don't know how anybody could be so moronic as to intentionally lose the center stand!

jurand first quick tells on carbs. The 34's have the thin chromed steel tops.
The 38's have a thicker cast alloy.
The 34's had pull or slide type chokes with horizontal plungers.
The 38's had vertical plungers with tab levers you push up and down.
So don't let someone like 5twins with his polished alloy tops on 34's fool ya.
Other differences can be found in the carb threads in the tech sections

Others say the Rebel shocks work fine.
I have some cheap china 10"ers that would bottom out sometimes.
I thought Mikes had some 10.5"s?

With the lower shocks you will want to shorten the sidestand.
I cut mine right under the kick tab and tacked on 1/8" plate losing alittle more than 1/2" total.

xjwmx kinda my thoughts, but just local riding with a solid back up plan.....to each his own.

ok,

1. shocks. I know rebel shocks work fine, but savage's shocks are the same size and look beefier...
2. carbs. yes, I have bs34 carbs. did check it twice...
3. I have two xs650, one is going under knife - I'll use visual impact kit. so when I lower rear, I have to(?) lower forks AND (imho) centerstand will be not usable anymore. I also will not use this "brated" bike for long trips - city only, this way I can always return with car and trailer... xjwmx, I wrote, I like my centerstand, but (in Gerard butler voice from 300) THIS IS CHOPPER...;)

yeah, yeah, I know... ('80 special SG)

but again about identifying my bike. xs_model_id_chart says TWO vacuum petcocks for my xs. she has only one... probably welded and bondoed by PO. together with brackets for yamaha sign. airbox covers also shaved...

Attachments

• tank_rs.jpg
    tank_rs.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 70
Tanks are easily swapped. The number of petcocks changed but the way the tank mounts didn't. Maybe the original got damaged and was replaced with a newer one.

Back