Quick carb verification, please.

EeastCTRider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So just to ask because I don’t know and while I can read, I wanna be sure before I order stuff..
short background, got the bike in a box and there are parts here and there from a couple different bikes.
I am sure the one on the left (or top, picture depending) is a 34 and the one under it is a 38?
Is there a kit to order to rebuild the 38? From what I read, the 38 is the one I want?
Last question, there are some nice looking redone carbs around with this yellowish fuel line, is that a special stuff or can I find that to buy?

C5648EAC-2217-423F-860F-4AFC601EA99F.jpeg
1B9C0B6A-8538-4592-8EA9-485061DC0CA8.jpeg
9922D4E8-C0E6-47E6-9D0C-ECA6AFDCB31F.jpeg
A5E9C2B7-795D-4FA3-B882-A9B3E2FBD3CF.jpeg

+1 on both sets being 34’s and you can get lots of pretty fuel line on Amazon. Red,yellow blue. Take your pick

I’m also from CT and I order from XS650direct.com. They do sell carb rebuild kits/carb parts. It’s mikesxs sister site but they deliver faster (in my experience). The yellow lines are probably just generic yellow Tygon fuel line

Determine which parts you need. "Carb Kits" have developed a bad reputation on this forum. The Carb section in the Tech Forum has all the stock jetting info and BS34s showed up in the EPA clean era so you may want to check the stock settings and go a step richer. YRMV

I'd guess the other set is from an XS400. Been ages, but I recall that idle knob in the middle on the ones I had..... maybe. I've slept since owning one. :umm:

That "other" set may be spaced differently as well. That's the first thing you'd need to check if you planned on trying to use them. It's also possible they are Suzuki carbs.

Thank you everyone. Jim, thank you for the info and reference photo also, that explains why I couldn’t find it in the other post..
I will use the set that are XS650 specific so I don’t have to worry about spacing.
So apparently both 34’s and one from another version of XS. I will look at what I need and assemble a kit piece by piece.
I will do the “diaphragm drop down test” and look for a plastic float.
Diaphragm test I think you mean YouTube link.
I will buy “pretty” (lol) Tygon tube off of A.com as I want this to look nice and any well dressed lady needs accessories!
I dunno, they both look like 34's from here.
Do the drop down test for the diaphragms and check the floats.
Use the diaphragms that pass the drop down test and use the plastic floats if you're lucky enough to score a pair. Other opinions may vary.
I will look up that “drop down test” for sure! I just found the “carb bible” so I will work out of there also.
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

I’m also from CT and I order from XS650direct.com. They do sell carb rebuild kits/carb parts. It’s mikesxs sister site but they deliver faster (in my experience). The yellow lines are probably just generic yellow Tygon fuel line
Jesseeeeeee, yeah Mikes is slow as dirt, I will check out XS650direct.com and thank you for the Tygon name.. that’s exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you all again.

Thank you everyone. Jim, thank you for the info and reference photo also, that explains why I couldn’t find it in the other post..
I will use the set that are XS650 specific so I don’t have to worry about spacing.
You could do the forum a big favor by comparing the spacing between the two sets so we have a definitive answer on the difference in spacing and posting it here.

So apparently both 34’s and one from another version of XS. I will look at what I need and assemble a kit piece by piece.
I will do the “diaphragm drop down test” and look for a plastic float.
Diaphragm test I think you mean YouTube link.
I will buy “pretty” (lol) Tygon tube off of A.com as I want this to look nice and any well dressed lady needs accessories!

I will look up that “drop down test” for sure! I just found the “carb bible” so I will work out of there also.
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

Jesseeeeeee, yeah Mikes is slow as dirt, I will check out XS650direct.com and thank you for the Tygon name.. that’s exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you all again.
I think you might find Tygon fuel line by the foot at you local TrueValue or AutoZone without a shipping charge/delay. And...you shop locally that way.:) I have some Grey lfiel line tjat came with the bike a year ago and shows no sign of splitting, brittleness or deterioration. But when it does I have 5 or 6 feet of yellow stuff.

So I thought the yellow Tygon was the shit too. I had a yellow tank with "glassed-in" petcocks so it was also visible (no good choice with those filters). However, by season two, the yellow had turned brown! (without ever a drop of ethanol fuel). It's black line now - FWIW
TYGON YW (3).jpg
TYGON (2).jpg

You could do the forum a big favor by comparing the spacing between the two sets so we have a definitive answer on the difference in spacing and posting it here.
Sure Thing Jim, when I get home tonight I will be out there working so I will get on that.I don't know that I visually saw a difference but I will get the tape out as there may well be.
I think you might find Tygon fuel line by the foot at you local TrueValue or AutoZone without a shipping charge/delay. And...you shop locally that way.:) I have some Grey lfiel line tjat came with the bike a year ago and shows no sign of splitting, brittleness or deterioration. But when it does I have 5 or 6 feet of yellow stuff.
I will look around here for sure, Besos doesn't need any more of my money and I don't need it today anyhow. We have the big 3 advanced, o'rieley and autozone in less that 1.5 miles from my house.
Edit - didn’t notice the info I was posting was already shard.

Move along… nothing to see here folks…
:)
So I thought the yellow Tygon was the shit too. I had a yellow tank with "glassed-in" petcocks so it was also visible (no good choice with those filters). However, by season two, the yellow had turned brown! (without ever a drop of ethanol fuel). It's black line now - FWIWView attachment 220710View attachment 220711
ohh. I don't know that I would like that all that much as we don't have the option of ethanol free around here. I just saw shiny and got interested lol. I only have experience with the black stuff. Does ethanol turn it faster?

Determine which parts you need. "Carb Kits" have developed a bad reputation on this forum. The Carb section in the Tech Forum has all the stock jetting info and BS34s showed up in the EPA clean era so you may want to check the stock settings and go a step richer. YRMV
Thank you for the direction. I am probably going with pods over traditional air cleaners and not too sure which exhaust I am going to use yet so I will probably need to play with jetting/needle settings so that section may help a ton.

AFAIK all the BS34 carbs fitted to the XS650 had a drain valve and no plug at the bottom of the float bowl. Either your 34s have had float bowls, possibly incorrect, from another carb set installed, or they are not XS650 carbs. Carb spacing should be 120 mm. center to center.

AFAIK all the BS34 carbs fitted to the XS650 had a drain valve and no plug at the bottom of the float bowl.
The drain valve first appeared on the 1981 model. The 1980 BS34 has a plug .

I have a nearby NAPA, Stihl, Husqvarna, KTM dealer. They sold me the yellow fuel line for cheap and quick. I generally favor Motion Pro Premium Fuel Line, but I had no time to wait. The yellow stuff is easy enough to work with.

yellow Tygon was the shit too
I've got Yellow tygon FUEL LINE that's been in use on my bikes for MANY years, on and off many times, it stays soft and flexible.
not all yellow fuel line is tygon.
Not all Tygon is Fuel line. There are formulas of tygon for other uses ie medical etc. not good for fuel line. Learned that one the hard way. The one I got that wasn't fuel line tneded to swell when exposed to gas.
Oragon brand fuel line AFAIK is Tygon, that's easily found at any small engine shop. Think lawn mower chainsaw shops etc. My local Farm and Fleet sells it.
all the BS34 carbs fitted to the XS650 had a drain valve and no plug at the bottom of the float bowl.
The first year BS34's (1980) had brass floats and the plug, all later years (81 to 84) have foam floats and the drain valve. ;^)
foam floats are direct replacement for the brass 1980 floats.
82 and up heritage specials used a cable operated handlebar choke lever.

Thanks for the correction, guys. I had a 1980 (G) parts bike that had carbs with the drain valve and brass floats, and made the mistake of generalizing from that. Mama Yama did all kinds of interesting mix-and-match....

Yep, there's all kinds of plastic tubing sold as fuel line. Never had a problem with genuine Tygon line rated for fuel, and the only fuel available where I am is 10% ethanol.

Last edited:
Back