Quick electrical question

pablohoney

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to simplify my electrical system a bit, so I am getting rid of the reserve lighting device, turn signal canceler unit, light checker and starter solenoid. I know that for the reserve lighting device I just need to connect the blue/black wire to the blue/yellow wire, and for the starter solenoid I am just putting a heavy duty toggle switch on my battery box, but do I need to do anything for the turn signal canceler unit, and the light checker or can I just remove them? Thanks

What are you calling a light checker? The canceller you can just remove and let the wires hang. I removed mine when it started randomly killing the signal after two or three flashes. I would rather have it, myself, but not practical to fix it.

The light checker is the small tan box, located on the battery box that turns on the idiot light if the tail light burns out.
And thanks for the turn signal canceler info.

Ok, but you were also referring to the reserve lighting device. I think they're the same thign, at least on mine. There's a way to get rid of it, if that's what you're talking about - supposedly it doesn't fail safe, so might not be a bad idea..

No, they are separate units though connected and of related function. The LCU is a rubber encapsulated pod much like the TSCU and is either hanging on a metal tab on the underside of the battery box or on the lower outside front of the back fender. You'll need to wire a connection from a "blue" L power supply to the blue tail light after having removed both the RLU and the LCU (wherever yours is located) model/yr.?

Here's a current thread that carries quite a bit of related info......

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4857

For instance check this wiring diagram for the 78 SE......
Upper right hand between the "Fuse Box" and the "Reserve Lighting Unit"...pretty much the same thing on all the "Specials" thereafter btw.....Light Checker

This may help as well to indentify the two units referred to:

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650se-1978-1980_model8684/partslist/J-10.html

Best of luck...supplying the year and model of the bike you're working with helps
a lot in developing a more specific responses and a wiring diagram we can both/all relate to. Blue

Attachments

• 78xs650se.jpg
    78xs650se.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Mine didn't get an LCU, BBB. Not the first time I've been ripped off tough.

I have decided to switch to kickstart only, Do I need to do anything to the starter relay besides remove it?

Hi all....I have a 1981 SH....in my wiring diagrams, I don't see an LCU. I'm assuming that they stopped putting them on this model? Can anyone confirm?

thats what i was trying to figure out, the 81 special does have light checker? couldnt figure it out since its not on diagram
and the one i think is the tscu, all the wires match diagram except theres also a red and white wire, its up under the gas tank?

^The thing under the tank is the turn signal canceller. To disable, if you want, just remove it. The grey (?) box under the seat behind the battery is the headlight thing, which turns on the high filament if the low burns out. All if it is on the '81 electrical diagram, I'm sure. To remove the latter you have to connect a couple of wires but you have the opportunity to wire the light it used as a check light for generator not working. Just one or two wires.

According to wiring diagrams, the light checker was removed on the '81 and later models, also the '80 Special. The '80 Special II still had one according to the diagrams. The early unit had just 3 wires and was used on the Standard models up through '79. It monitored the brake light only. You can simply unplug it if you want to remove it. The Special models got a more complicated 6 wire checker unit. It monitored both the brake light and the tail light. The tail light power passes right through it so if you remove this one, you have to jumper the 2 blue wires (tail light power feed) to get the tail light working again.

thanks thats what i figured from diagram, just been looking thru all the old posts and saw that, and wanted to check, i took care of kickstand shutoff, and the reserve lighting, just trying to see what else i can do, not sure if its related but now bike wont start in gear, thought it did before, maybe i should just learn not to stall it

The '81 model didn't have a sidestand switch but did have a clutch switch. If you just unplug the clutch switch then yes, the bike will no longer electric start in gear. The clutch switch interrupts the power flow on the R/W wire to the starter solenoid. If you want the bike to electric start in gear, you'll have to remove the clutch switch relay and jumper the two R/W wires together.

Both handlebar switches are a little erratic until you go over them. You could put a meter on the connector and work the lever and see if the switch makes and breaks. If it doesn't make when you pull the clutch it would cause that.

4th edit
after further research i believe i dont have an 81 like title says, its an 82, which i thought when i looked up vin once, feel stupid now
edit
think i figured it out, i have nothing connected to black on clutch switch, either need to tie it in the blue/yellow i think or remove clutch switch, helps looking at right diagram

still dont know why the turn signal cancler has an extra white/red wire, dont see that on there

Last edited:
You can't just remove the clutch and sidestand switches, you have to remove their relays too, if you want to restore full, unfettered functionality like the earlier bikes without these contraptions had. Each relay is triggered by two sources, it's switch and the neutral light. In the case of the sidestand relay, you've eliminated one of the triggers by removing the switch but it is still being operated by the neutral light. That's probably why it won't start in gear. It may crank over but it won't start. The sidestand relay grounds out the TCI box, in effect killing the spark. It doesn't stop the starter from cranking. The clutch switch and it's relay do that.

I've been studying up on this lately because I'm working on an '83 model and want to eliminate all this extra safety B.S. I haven't done it yet but from my research I figure I can simply remove the sidestand switch and relay, remove the clutch switch and relay but must jumper the two R/W wires together where the clutch switch relay plugs in.

Back