Quick Fastener question

JE4570

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was given an opportunity through a connection I have with a friend that works at an industrial supply company that I also worked at for a short while. It specializes in fasteners and I was going to seize the opportunity to order new engine mount bolts for an employee discount price.

I will be measuring them all there so I can get the proper length and diameters, but I just wasn’t sure what grade of metric bolts I need to use. The bolts I have, have a 7 on them... not sure what grade that is indicating. Could I use 10.9? Or 12.9? Or are these a special grade that ought to be specially ordered?

.....have a 7 on them... not sure what grade that is indicating.
Not sure what the 7 is indicating... I do know it's not the grade (or classification if you will). Metric uses a 2 number designation system... #.#
The first number is the tensile strength in MPa's. The number after the dot is yield strength, also in MPa's. For what you want, anything 8.8 or higher should do just fine.

Agreed - go higher rather than lower, but the 12.9's are likely over-kill (if they are even available).

BTW - those lower engine mount bolts are not easy to find nor are they inexpensive - so if you can snag a few extras...I'll betcha some of the folks on this forum would like to buy some at a discount....

Not as golden an opportunity as I thought...

I couldn’t find any of the long ones unfortunately. My supplier didn’t have anything longer than 100mm which was really one of the only ones I truly needed (one of my front mount bolts was bent) They were really limited on metric fasteners in general. The only bolts short enough to be ordered were the top mount bolts and mine were fine. I just ordered a piece of threaded rod instead and will just cut it to length for my bent long bolt and use two locknuts. I plan on mostly just keeping what I have and cleaning them up and using marine grade anti-seize. When I get the opportunity again I’ll try to at least get a handful of the top mount bolts.

^They're starter gear train, obviously. I noticed he has over 59,000 parts listed, I assume ALL BY HAND, though so I'll cut him some slack. It's wise to look at the pic carefully with any auction to make sure they agree with the description.

Back