Quick-n-Dirty front brake tip

DirtyErnie

Renaissance Hick
Reaction score
If you're working on the top half of your front brakes, above the lower brake line at any rate, and you hate bleeding as much as I do...

Take the caliper off the bracket and pads, and pump as much fluid into it as you dare, get that piston sticking out.
Then, when you're done with your work, push the piston back into the caliper and it will back-fill your lines from the bottom up.
Re-install the caliper on the bracket and pads, keep your master cylinder full and pump the system up.
Done.

That reminds me that I should change my brake fluid. It's been a good 10,000 miles since I checked it last.

Are you going to the make it to the meet up in Hopkins next month?

Get a speed bleed screw, like Part #29-0502 or Part #29-0503 (depending on year) at Mikes, and you can properly bleed your brakes with one person. At $5 you can't go wrong.

maybe its cause i bought new m/c and caliper when they came out from mikes. but i dont get the big problem. ive never bled brakes before, really had no idea how it was done. i read a little on here on how to do it, and i was done with installing everything, bleeding and cleanup within an hour. no quick bleed screws, no special pumps, just me, a couple of wrenches and some beer. am i missing something? are some years harder than others? i only ask because some day ill have a couple more xs's and wondering if im gonna run into something. seemed easy enough.

That reminds me that I should change my brake fluid. It's been a good 10,000 miles since I checked it last.

Are you going to the make it to the meet up in Hopkins next month?

Gonna do my best! fixing all the shake-down breakages and getting my big-boy motorcycle license...

Yeah, bleeding brakes aren't too difficult on these, just hoping this could save someone a little headache when you have to open up the top part of the system.

bleeding them really isn't an issue but priming the system after you drain all the fluid for a total rebuild can be a pain in the ass.

Back