Quick question about timing and rotor marks.

Soliddrummer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I installed the pma/pamco setup from mikes and made my timing marks as described in the instructions. The instructions say to make two marks on the side cover one is TDC, and one is at 15 degrees. The TDC mark gets transferred to the rotor. I assume that I will be timing it to the 15 degree mark, is that correct? The instruction left out this little detail. I initially timed it to the TDC mark and it ran quite well, which has me wondering if I should actually time it somewhere in between the two marks?

I should add that I am certain my TDC mark is in the right spot and that I've done all the essentials ie: cam chain tension, valve clearances, carb adjustments. I just want to set the timing correctly and I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Ok. I answered my own question about which timing mark to use and how to properly set the timing. I found the info in an unrelated thread by accident.

The only question I have left is: my understanding is that you want to set the timing to the 15 degree mark and check the advance at 3k rpm. If the timing mark goes past the advance mark at 3k then you retard the timing at idle a bit more so that the advance mark never goes past the full advance mark on the side cover.

I have mikes pma and pamco out installed and he instructions don't show or talk about a full advance mark at all. So how would I know if my timing mark is going past the foo advance mark or not? Can I put a full advance mark on my side cover like Hugh's sticker? How do I know where that spot is?

Back