Rabid Bobber Build

Rabbid

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I already posted some of these pics but just got my bike back today and I have nobody to share my joy with so I need people who understand what this means to me. There is no target date to finish. Don't have lots of time or funds so it could be a while. Im going to tackle the motor in the next couple weeks but a quick list of whats left to do

carbs cleaned
tank fixed
electrical
front end rebuild
new rear rim and spokes
plus all the other misc. bolts, nuts, cables

This is what I started with:
1979 Xs650 basket case

CIMG0105.jpg

CIMG0106.jpg

CIMG0117.jpg

CIMG0145.jpg

My hardtail was done by Michael at South Bay Customs who was great to deal with. He even offered to let me use a bunch of his shop tools to work on my bike.

1284600332129imagejpeg_2.jpg

1284600338329imagejpeg_3.jpg

1284692875264imagejpeg_4.jpg

1284692802149imagejpeg_3.jpg

CIMG0157.jpg

Great lookin start ya got there man! :thumbsup: you are further than I am with my own personal build. Im diggin the painted mags and those spokers. keep us updated on the progress. are you rebuilding the motor? or what did you mean by tackling the motor?

Yes I'm going to start rebuilding the motor. If there's anything I hate the most it's having to do things twice. I want this motor to be solid without having to worry about taking it out in a year or two to replace something. Haven't opened it up yet but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to replace everything in the top end and new gaskets/seals all around.

Posted via Mobile

The dis assembly began tonight. Some parts ended up being a little worse than I had anticipated

CIMG0163.jpg

yes my engine stand is a piece of wood.

CIMG0164.jpg

CIMG0165.jpg

CIMG0168.jpg

CIMG0176.jpg

CIMG0181.jpg

hard to tell in the last one but the piston rings on the left(right piston from riders perspective) are completely ground down. the motor wasn't seized but it was a bitch to get that thing out so I cant imagine it was far off.

found this little guy chilling on my crank its about 4 inches long. Pieces of guide were everywhere.
CIMG0180.jpg

Back