Radian Swingarm: School me

This is a relatively easy conversion and gives better handling as the stock swingarm is like spagetti. I have an RD400 rear wheel that uses a 17mm axle. As a result I used the Radian axle. With the stock wheel you can flip out the bearings and make up 17mm spacers. I used the Radian shock mounts on my 650 but relocated them forward on my XT500 flattacker. The only negative thing about this conversion is you can kiss wheelies goodbye.

Isnt that xs axle a front not a rear?

The Radian arm uses a 17mm rear axle. To use a 20mm axle you would have to machine the chain adjuster blocks and swingarm axle cutouts. In addition to this, you need a longer axle. You can get a longer axle from Jerry Cheney at www.cheneyengineering.com He'll make one to any length for $55.00. Jerry also makes a bolt on swingarm with axle cutouts to any mm.

Isnt that xs axle a front not a rear?

If you are referencing the XS11 axle I posted, I can assure you it is a rear axle.

If I understand this correctly, my XS650 hub and spacers are goong to fit in the swingarm. I need a longer axle, such as a CB750 and I need to modify the swingarm and axles to the 20 mm axle. I will need to add links to the chain. I may or may not need to relocate the shock mounts. Will a Radian chain guard mount up directly? Is that everything?

How far does this go toward correcting rear weight bias on this bike?

Jet, after you open up the axle adjusters, the axle slot in the swingarm, and use the CB axle, you just install everything you had in the oem swingarm. You do need a longer chain. You also need to remove the underarm brake arm stay, and weld one onto the top. Pic of Radian chainguard installed:

radchainguard.jpg

You also need to remove the underarm brake arm stay, and weld one onto the top.

If I'm running a drum brake, is the stay OK where it is, or do I need a longer stay?

Looking at the pic, I'm guessing the Radian runs a very large sprocket. Is the XS650 chainguard long enough to use? Can we use the Radian chainguard if the shocks are repositioned?

I want to use something like this:
P-ShockMount.jpg

Can't say anything about the drum brake stay as I've only dealt with my caliper fitting. Look closer at my pic above. The Rad chainguard has a cutout in it for the shock spring. Repositiong the shocks will leave that cutout in plain site, and then the shock spring would rub the guard unless you made another cutout. The XS chainguard would be short for sure, any thing else pertaining to it I can't say as I didn't make any attempt to fit it.

Jet, if that is the same length as the oem XS chainguard it will be short. Glad all my info is usefull.

I've been looking at pics of Radian equipped XS650's, and I've noted that the majority of them run no chain guard. I suppose that's the easy way if I use multi point lower shock mounts.

I'd be more worried about having a slice taken out of your left ass cheek in the event of a broken chain than the grease spots. If you go without a guard buy a good chain and service it religiously.

Slide can you post some pics of your bike?

Attached are some pics of the bike taken in 2005 when I built it. It looks as good today and is a daily ride.

Attachments

• Left Side View.jpg
    Left Side View.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Right Side View.jpg
    Right Side View.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 276
  • The Speedo.jpg
    The Speedo.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Battery Box.jpg
    Battery Box.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Ready for Paint.jpg
    Ready for Paint.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 311
I just bought a 1981 CB750 Super Sport rear axle. It's 20 mm and plenty long. It will require spacers on the outside or shortening. I will probably go with small spacers on each end.

Back