Radio Shack Fusebox mod w/ pics

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My fusebox looked like hell and I think it might have been giving me some problems. I figured I should replace it for reliability and ease of troubleshooting.

Anyways I went to radio shack and got this fusebox.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062258

pRS1C-2160165w345.jpg

It was only $3.50 and it seems to be really high quality. The fuses are held really tight.

I took my old fusebox out and popped out the old fuse clips. Then I took a pair of pliers and broke off the fuse clip holders to make the base of the unit flat.

I then had to grind off a bit of the spade ends on the fusebox since it was too wide. I soldered the wires to the new fusebox, put two screws in it, and then reassembled.

It was pretty easy and it seems a lot more solid. I didn't go for the blade type fuse since I liked the stock location.

Here is the old fuse box.

60587565.jpg

And the new one.

f7ca7340.jpg

I like it since it looks just like a factory part. I was even able to route all the wires correctly. The cap fits on fine and it looks stock. I am very happy with it and a steal at $3.50.

wow did they have a blade type box? I bought mine from auto zone for about $15 and it uses car blade style.

All of you did a very good job. Those damn glass fuses , I can't hardly see when they're blown. They oughta change color or something so my old eyes can tell!:banghead:

All of you did a very good job. Those damn glass fuses , I can't hardly see when they're blown. They oughta change color or something so my old eyes can tell!:banghead:
ha! funny you say that, I was having trouble reading a 1amp glass fuse from a washing machine. couldnot tell if the line was a reflection in the glass, or the thinner than a hair wire inside.
replaced it any ways, plugged it in, and caught the power cord on fire.!
looks great guys!

Must be in the check switch on a Maytag huh? Been fixing appliances on my days off from the FD for 18? years.

Wow M thats fancy! Got a fancy price too!!
Crabman and Ebola, panels look good!! Dunno why but I got a thing for those glass fuses, even though ya cant see em when its said and done, I just cant go to puttin in the blade type.....too purdy!!

Craig

David I have one of those fuse boxes on mine. I have not mounted the engine yet, maybe this week-end. I sure makes wiring your own bike easier. Good luck Tony C

Back