Rain is hitting air filters

Xsvirgin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
When my bike was built there was no rear fender (mud guard) I am from the UK!,
I need to come up with a solution to stop the water hitting the filters.
I think all the mounting points were removed.
Attached is a pic, you will see the lack of protection.
What is the best plan here ?.
PS. The nasty plastic front fender is going to be replaced too.
Thanks in advance of any and all suggestions….
9FF8BB02-5D54-4227-8A62-0B6A640EC126.jpeg

Yes, it looks like they removed the fender tabs. They were just flat tabs so I think you could just use small P clamps on the frame rails to mount a fender to. The original fender was 2 parts, an upper chrome steel fender and a lower plastic inner fender. You could probably get away with just the lower plastic part.

Your air filters do look really small, most likely way too small for besr performance. It is hard to see what carbs you have from your picture. If it is stock CV carbs, get UNI foam filters instead, just search this forum for the recommended type.

First thought
Getting a piece of metal that fits .Cutting / Bending a bit or so Might even fit plane
making U shaped holders ( Hole in the plate ) with thread at the ends and clamp it on the tubes paint it black.

If you have a weld it makes other solutions maybe better -- still clamping onto the tubing.

Another fender that is cut can fit also But I would look into a plane one first .Thats just me

I would offer this.. Source a piece of 1/8" alloy 8-8 1/2" x 6". Could be sheet plastic from a kids toy or slippy slide. Dimensions approximate, and convert to metric if needed. Slice slots at each corner of the long end. Frame is ~9" wide there. Zip tie the plate in place as an experiment. Near zero expenditure to see what works.

I guess it depends on how you want the end result to look.
If you aren't bothered then Mr Werner's idea would work but IMO would not look good.
The alternative is to bite the bullet and have some tabs welded in on the cross piece of the frame at the front and under the seat at the rear.
Using an arc welding process will do minimal damage to the existing paint and any repair will not be hardly visible when re-painted.
It also gives the option to choose a non OE mudguard if desired.

Back