Random stuff 'bout a field "stored" 82?

mebby a couple mag wheel Heritage specials did make it here?
It's too easy to swap wheels. I had no trouble finding an '81 rear wheel.
upload_2021-12-3_7-19-54.png

toss in here
this is the 1/4" impact that comes in the standard M18 2 piece drill kit.
View attachment 202599
With a 3/8" drive adapter and sockets, easily removed all the "laid rusting in a field for 20 years" 14-17mm nuts and bolts holding pegs, exhaust, shocks, spark plugs, all the carb screws, including the angle iron screws etc. quickly drilled off stripped out screw heads also. If I was only allowed one battery tool, this one.
It's december, leave circled ads for the kit where your sweetie can see them................
The Dewalt 20v version is just as handy. Its good to have a work truck full of power tools in the driveway every day.

This was fun.
KIMG0080.JPG

Had to drill the heads off the screws and then use an even smaller bit to drill down the shank aways, thread the remains out the back of the shaft, to get the butterfly out. It then wrestled with me all the way out, made an aluminum tool to finish tapping it through throttle shaft slot.
drilled brass pieces, the idle screw caps. I still have one choke seriously corroded into the carb body yet. Jets, emulsion tubes came out, one pilot was touch n go nearly lost the slot.

Per my comment elsewhere, things got slightly snafued. I ended up being embarrassed to have paid $75 for it. Was sitting out back at "dads" place. We had it dragged out of the brambles and loaded in the trailer before the daughter showed, she had run the ad and was a jerk about the price. Took some serious work to beat her down from $100. But thatsa OK.

What is your plan with this bike? Salvage and clean parts from it? Or can you save the frame too and the bike? Or is it too rusty?

No title, no good plan for it as a whole bike. So just rescuing bits n pieces. Frame seems fine but with no title an 83 frame is scrap iron, test bed, engine cradle. At this point I'm guessing the engine will be good with new pistons and a bore. Need to look in the valve covers and sump to see it it's in good shape. Not sure when (if ever) I'd get to doing that. Norton's on the lift, currently trolling for parts. The Beemer needs a good bit of maint work too. ABS system rehab should be educational. At 86K I need to inspect the final drive, I suspect, feel a bit of roughness back there. Hoping it's just the pumpkin mount pivot bearing, a notorious BMW failure point, but not a big deal to repair. Pretty Pillion wants a more comfy rear seat. The rider wouldn't mind a few mods there either. Need to improve a couple "camping luggage" mounts There's several other XS's need lots of love. I'm going to die or go completely feeble before it all gets done, but still look at "need love" bargains. (sick bastard)

steiner.jpg

I'm in the process of trying to talk myself out of a Steiner like this one. Rough shape but complete, no attachments, multiple farmer fixes and repowered with a Predator V twin of some sort. Resisting the urge to ask what they want for it. Surfing Horror Fright, the engine (which appears to be brand new, or nearly so) retails for around $900 so they probably want more than my toy budget can handle anyway. Be my luck it'd be just out of reach and tempt me to do something stupid to get it.

View attachment 202658

I'm in the process of trying to talk myself out of a Steiner like this one. Rough shape but complete, no attachments, multiple farmer fixes and repowered with a Predator V twin of some sort. Resisting the urge to ask what they want for it. Surfing Horror Fright, the engine (which appears to be brand new, or nearly so) retails for around $900 so they probably want more than my toy budget can handle anyway. Be my luck it'd be just out of reach and tempt me to do something stupid to get it.

You NEED this DE!

No, at least I don't think so. My swingarm has the most missing paint behind the left joint to the frame, but I believe it is solid. I heard those bushings were generally cr*p, being plastic, and should be changed to nylon or teflon, can't remember which. Wondered how much trouble it was to remove, mainly. Thanks though.

No, at least I don't think so. My swingarm has the most missing paint behind the left joint to the frame, but I believe it is solid. I heard those bushings were generally cr*p, being plastic, and should be changed to nylon or teflon, can't remember which. Wondered how much trouble it was to remove, mainly. Thanks though.
Highly variable, anywhere from a couple light taps with a drift to a three day saga ending with a sawzall extraction. Bronze bushings is the hot tip and yes a worthwhile replacement on most of the fleet.
Anyways if this goes down to the frame I would remove the swing arm cuz good pivot shafts and steel pivot sleeves are quite in demand.

Tough crowd; one screw busted off in other butterfly also. But the remnant backed out as I drilled through it
Hint for butterfly removal; duct tape, glue towards the brass, needle vice grips.
KIMG0081.JPG
Mebby more luck than skill but that's the tip of the drill bit you can see centered in the end of the screw!
KIMG0085~2.JPG

Last edited:
Back