Rattle guns, advice

rude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys, got any advice on rattle guns/impact wrenches? particularly the lithium battery powered and mains powered, I'm looking for portable.

I need to get the stator rotor off the XV750, the manual says "put bike in gear, have friend stand on rear brake and undo the (19mm) nut".
yeh sure!! cheater bars of varying lengths and an assortment of BFH's and it still ain't budging, so impact is the next try.
Thought I'd throw it out there before spending the hard earned
thanks

I used a $50 mains powered from Harbor Freight to get my clutch nut off. I think xsLeo uses the same tool.

If something calls for stepping on the rear brake or etc., instead you can put a bar through the wheel and let the swing arm block it. If you don't have spokes, that is.

No, no spokes, tried the bar through the wheel trick and still needed to apply more pressure than I was comfortable with.
I like the idea of the mains powered units better than the battery ones, thanks

No, no spokes, tried the bar through the wheel trick and still needed to apply more pressure than I was comfortable with.
I like the idea of the mains powered units better than the battery ones, thanks

Get an air compressor and the Mac #AW4400. 600+ ft lbs of torque.

Guys, got any advice on rattle guns/impact wrenches? particularly the lithium battery powered and mains powered, I'm looking for portable.

I need to get the stator rotor off the XV750, the manual says "put bike in gear, have friend stand on rear brake and undo the (19mm) nut".
yeh sure!! cheater bars of varying lengths and an assortment of BFH's and it still ain't budging, so impact is the next try.
Thought I'd throw it out there before spending the hard earned
thanks

That just tell's me that an inexperienced PO put that nut on with an impact gun; perhaps 100+ ft-lbs. If they had used a torque wrench to the proper torque, it would have come off easily.

The manual says this nut is to be torqued to 112ft lbs, but I hear you, the reason I'm doing this is the rotor cog which is driven from the starter clutch has been chewed causing much crunching noises, when I pulled the sidecover off the starter clutch mechanism fell out and a much needed spacer was lodged in the case thanks to a scavenging magnet Yamaha put in there, I suspect this is the cause of this old girls problems
So someones had a go at fixing a starter problem and done a shoddy job, I got a new starter motor out of it, obviously where they began the process of elimination.

I've had a look around and I think I'll spend the extra $$'s and go air, not only do you get the rattle gun but you get multiple other uses, I have a 15cfm compressor on the farm but do need something in the "bike workshop"
cheers

Back