RD400 rear wheel swap

willyt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys bit of a long story.

I have done a bit of research on swapping the RD400 wheel onto my XS-1. I sort of fell into it as I managed to pick up a cheap wheel, 18inch, has 4 bolt sprocket so I assume it is off a RD400. Are there variations of the 18inch mag wheel?

After my research I learned that to make it work I need to have some spacers, disc and sprocket side and have a custom made sprocket with a specific tooth count or I screw with the ratio. So I got a blank sprocket and had it and my spacers made up at a machine shop. Laser cut from aluminum. I also picked up a disc brake swing arm, no idea what year its off but it XS, picked it up off a wrecker.

I then fitted the correct bearings into the wheel so it suits an XS axle. I had to made an internal wheel bearing spacer and a spacer each side of the wheel.

So I get all my parts together and get to work mounting it all. I am measuring up for a new chain and I realize with the spacer, which I have been told I will need, the chain is on a horrible angle, looks about 9mm out, the size of my spacer, so I remove it and it looks dead straight now. Obviously I wish I had mocked it up and had a decent look before spending a few bucks.

Has anybody else had a similar experience with the 18inch mag on an xs? I am not even sure that it is from the RD400.

Pictures to follow
RD 400 rear wheel conversion01.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion02.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion03.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion04.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion01.jpg
RD 400 rear wheel conversion02.jpg

Will take a few more tomorrow of the chain angle.

Does an xs2 motor have the front sprocket mounted closer to the centre of the bike? Or does does the wider frame of an xs1 mean the front sprocket is closer to the centre of the bike?

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 276
Back