Re-using cam and rockers?

Highside

Lord of the Flies
Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, the XS650 I bought has an engine issue. At some point, it seems, it was run low on oil and there is noticable wear (grooves) in the cam and rockers.

Now I know on car engines that you can't use a new cam with used lifters and vice versa, you also can't remove lifters and put them in different bores.

Does this apply with the 650 engine too? If I were to buy a used cam and rockers, have the cam re-conditioned (touched up and nitrided) along with the rockers, will this work? or will they get wiped out just like they would in a car.

Since I'm going to do a comlete tear-down on this engine, what else can I expect to find wrong with it??

If you have grooves on the cam lobes, it's junk. If you have grooves in the rocker pads, they're junk. :-(

go here, get this: http://hoosracing.com/camshaftspecial.html
Gary told me the exhausts were advanced 5*, so it's a wider lobe separation angle (broader, flatter power curve.)

If you're doing a complete tear-down, you'll probably want to swap out the cam chain guides, (sump filter goes without saying) and look into the MikesXS overdrive 5th gear. Do a compression check, and plan on upgrading your ignition. <-- lots of info in the 'tech' section and under the 'search' box. The bottom-end bearings are probably alright, roller/ball bearings are a little more tolerant of abuse than plain types but you won't know for certain until you get in there.

Last edited:
oh shoot, sorry about that.

You could probably get away with that set-up if surfaces are nice and clean. Lubricating oil is supposed to protect them from physical contact anyways...
Don't quote me, though.

Back