Re-winding of XT250 stator from 6V to 12 V. Doable?

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
One of my sons have a 1982 XT250, sort of a monoshocked baby brother of the XT500. This is actually a nice and lightweight little offroader. I believe its main drawback is the poor 6V headlight. The alternator and ignition on this bike is PMA type and CDI.
I assume any 6V alternator can be rewound to provide 12V, and the only other necessary change would be a new RR, and of course a 12V horn and light bulbs.
So my question is now twofold:
Is there any company anywhere, that can rewind this stator?
If not, is it correct to assume that it would just need double amount of winding turns?
(Which in turn will require thinner wire, maybe 70% of the original diameter)

Yes, I have seen several companies offering those. Just wonder if the power output is high enough. Or if rewinding to 12V could help increase wattage.
Absolutely, as long as you have a good battery. All your doing is modifying the stator to charge a 12V battery instead of a 6v battery. Coil combining reg coupled with an AGM battery and I think you'll find that system quite robust. Id even go as far as an LED head lamp to reduce load and increase Lumens.

Last edited:
Alternator is probably a stretch here.
The XT has a single phase lighting coil and single phase battery charging coil.
. Pretty sure the head and taillight run directly off of the lighting coil AC with no rectifier just a simple regulator..

The headlight is crap not because of the voltage but because of the amount of power from the lighting coil.

Went and did some research over at thumper talk. A lot of "noise" about how the XT works. It "might be true" that the later xt's had a 12v system. If so that setup would be easy but expensive.

The 6v system has two coils. One runs the light on ac and the other charges the battery.

The early DT enduros worked the same way . The later cdi dt's have a single lighting coil. Still working out how my 400 works.

Any way you have 2 charging coils that can be rewired in series to produce the higher voltage.

Readers Digest version.
Plan for my 6v bikes.

Cheap PMA 3 phase regulator and small 12v SLA battery

Lighting coils in series to one phase of the regulator.

LED head and tail light wired like a conventional 12v system.

XT 350 wiring.
TimmieNet_WiringDiagramTT350_zps19dc615e.png

Yellow wire is lights
White is battery charging coil.

It's accuracy
upload_2021-6-11_7-23-27.png

I think the drawing maybe inaccurate about how the changing coil is wired. It shows a center tapped coil.
Probably it is two separate charging coils #2 and #4.
If they are not grounded to the stator mounting then it would be easy to wire them in series.

upload_2021-6-11_7-41-41.png

Back