Real Estate Update

Please gggGary, what is the reason? Is this due to high temperature forming more sulfur acids than a cooler rich flame???

Congratulations DE - a major milestone in a cold climate.

I signed the contract and put down the deposit for my new barn yesterday. Around my area, there are a lot of environmental regs and I have been told that getting through the approval process without a contractor is....unlikely - so I am going to take the easy way on this one.

Cheers,

Pete

Congratulations DE - a major milestone in a cold climate.
I signed the contract and put down the deposit for my new barn yesterday. Around my area, there are a lot of environmental regs and I have been told that getting through the approval process without a contractor is....unlikely - so I am going to take the easy way on this one.
Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,
building inspectors are well known to be petty tyrants.
The ones who can be greased ain't the worst.
It's the ones who measure your 2 x 4s with a Vernier caliper.
Like good ol' Ole Vik, you nitpicking bastard.

You know this Pete, but yer old so a reminder can't hurt:

Pictures. We're going to need pictures of the construction of yer new Man Cave.

In due course Paul - we still need the building permits...and Fred is dead right on that score.

Anyhow, the plan is for 1000 sf. (25' x 40') with an overhead door at each end and a man-door at one end plus a toilet and sink. There will be the usual man-cave accoutrements (BEvERage fridge, big@ss TV etc.) but rest of the interior is a blank canvas...

In the meantime, here is a photo of our backyard at sunrise (the barn is planned for the extreme right side of the photo):
Backyard_dawn.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice sunrise Pete... :hump:

Note: A childs toy next to a swimming pool - Be careful. Unless that is your car...

Thanks Paul - we are very pleased and it is so nice and quiet out here although my riding buddies want me to put in a nice 1/2 mile oval around the lot and change all of that.

Howdy and good afternoon - I hope you are all having a fun day!

Nainie (gramma in Welsh) and I had a ball with two of the daughters in Kitchener and Guelph and the hospitality was superb plus it was great to see our granddaughter again!

The progress on the pole barn has slowed as we wait for approvals from the environuts who have sway over the local area. My contractor is still confident but it may take a while. In the meantime, I investigated the attic of the garage and it is actually about 300 sq.ft.of prime storage. The ceiling is very high however and the access is through one of those hideaway ladders built into the ceiling (you may recall the scene from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation movie where Chevy Chase gets clocked by one of these things).

Anyhow, the other day I went up there and cleaned it all up and in the process,I worked out a cool scheme for an electric winch mounted over the floor “hatchway” - and by golly, I’ve got it nearly done (see photos below). Despite crunching my back again the other day, I have continued to make progress on the garage reno project:
- I got all of the necessary tools and supplies up into the attic to complete the wiring and electric hoist installation;
- I got the threaded black pipe safety railing installed so that the hole in the floor isn’t quite so dangerous (having shamelessly ripped-off the concept from Daughter #3 and her guy who used pipe for the railings in their new home).

Today’s progress:
- got into the wiring and have partially installed a duplex receptacle and a second light fixture up there;
- got the hoist installed on the roof joist;
- made the chain and snap hook rig harness that will attach to the big Rubbermaid totes to the hook on the hoist cable.

This will make getting stuff up and down from the attic a piece of cake - and that will clear much of the floor space in the garage below and allow me to get on with my hobbies. Attached is a video of a test run lifting just a lightweight stool - and it all worked just fine!

Pete

1640907435667.jpeg
1640907436561.jpeg

Last edited:
Howdy and good afternoon - I hope you are all having a fun day!

Nainie (gramma in Welsh) and I had a ball with two of the daughters in Kitchener and Guelph and the hospitality was superb plus it was great to see our granddaughter again!

The progress on the pole barn has slowed as we wait for approvals from the environuts who have sway over the local area. My contractor is still confident but it may take a while. In the meantime, I investigated the attic of the garage and it is actually about 300 sq.ft.of prime storage. The ceiling is very high however and the access is through one of those hideaway ladders built into the ceiling (you may recall the scene from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation movie where Chevy Chase gets clocked by one of these things).

Anyhow, the other day I went up there and cleaned it all up and in the process,I worked out a cool scheme for an electric winch mounted over the floor “hatchway” - and by golly, I’ve got it nearly done (see photos below). Despite crunching my back again the other day, I have continued to make progress on the garage reno project:
- I got all of the necessary tools and supplies up into the attic to complete the wiring and electric hoist installation;
- I got the threaded black pipe safety railing installed so that the hole in the floor isn’t quite so dangerous (having shamelessly ripped-off the concept from Daughter #3 and her guy who used pipe for the railings in their new home).

Today’s progress:
- got into the wiring and have partially installed a duplex receptacle and a second light fixture up there;
- got the hoist installed on the roof joist;
- made the chain and snap hook rig harness that will attach to the big Rubbermaid totes to the hook on the hoist cable.

This will make getting stuff up and down from the attic a piece of cake - and that will clear much of the floor space in the garage below and allow me to get on with my hobbies. Attached is a video of a test run lifting just a lightweight stool - and it all worked just fine!

Pete

View attachment 204126View attachment 204125
Does lift that meet building and CCOHS code?
To save time I let them both know you want an inspection.

😜

Happy new years Pete.
Any word on the Ontario rally?

Make a stand up platform for the hoist and you can do away with the ladder. :smoke:

Thanks guys and as for a platform…..hmmmmm, not sure I trust a “Made in China” winch quite that much. There are commercially made garage hoists - for $2500-3500 USD - but I got my little winch at Princess Auto (think Horrible Fright) and all of the stuff has only cost about $250.

The ladder itself is OK - but it is so steep and high that carrying something while climbing it is very tough and definitely not safe. The electric hoist / winch will make getting 20-60 lbs loads up-and-down, a doddle. The winch is rated for 220 lbs and they give you a second hook with a pulley on it which would enable the thing to lift 440 lbs (or so the manual and adverts tell me…).

Last edited:
Does lift that meet building and CCOHS code?
To save time I let them both know you want an inspection.

😜

Happy new years Pete.
Any word on the Ontario rally?

That is very helpful of you Gary - much appreciated!

AFAIK, the 2022 CVMG Paris National Rally in Paris Ontario is a GO - and featured marque remains “52 Years of the Iconic Yamaha XS650” - so we should be good to go!

They have not announced the dates just yet, but it is normally held on Father’s Day weekend which is approximately mid-June.

Now - the recent upswing in COVID cases has gotten a lot of stuff closed down in Canada but by June, the expectation is that things will be much more solid again (fingers crossed) and as long as everyone has had all (and that means THREE - at present) of their mRNA shots, the border shouldn’t be a problem.

I will keep everyone posted.

Pete

I miss sumpin'? You gimped up Pete?

Yeah….it all stems back to my bike trip with some buddies in September. We were touring in Algonquin Park and stopped at the 1850s lumber camp display. They had a replica of a bunkhouse and the doorway was very low (like about 4’8” - and when I went through it, I didn’t realize that the walls of the building were about 2 feet thick so I stood up waaaayyy to quickly and whamo - I got a big pain in my lower back. It has come and gone ever since. Dammit.

Anyhow - here is a linky to the little winch I got:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/220-440-lb-electric-cable-hoist/product/PA0008873192Princess Auto winch

Back