rear axle advice needed

paul45

paul45
Reaction score
Ok metal heads, I extended my swing arm which consequently widens the axle width. I had a new axle machined from stainless steel thinking that it would be strong as hell for the application then this morn. while watching " Gearz " Stacy the host was talking about stainless bolts and the fact that they equal a grade two bolt and should not be used in high stress conditions Am I wrong? should the axle be made from cold rolled or some other metal?

I'm not to good with that, but I know my builder friends don't use stainless on anything with stress. Only parts that they want to dress-up or not rust.

Tough call but the axle is mainly in tension, the spacer, bearing, wheel assembly creates a lot or most of the "anti deflection". a lot of sport bikes use hollow axles so there is "probably" enough strength with the stainless. Might want to check the axle nut tightness a few times, if it needs snugging more than once axle "stretch" is the likely culprit. I am not a metalurgist in any way shape, or form.

A quick browse of tensile strength charts shows the many varieties of stainless being in the same strength "range" as common alloy steels, my GUESS is you are fine. There are huge variations within the classification "stainless". Most likely he turned your axle out of a big bolt or other "bar" stock suited for your purpose.

Last edited:
Just for info CB 550 Axle is the same as XS but longer and if i were you i would put bike on stand and run the rear wheel in 4th or 5th and see if it has any wobble. I have never made a axle out of stainless used chrome moly yes and i don't think you are pushing any crazy horse power so i would test it first. If its going to bend it will bend on stand in high gear. My bet is nothing happens. A lot of people don't use it because its a pain to weld and costs more. It works great for air lines off compressor.

I am not dissing you, but it seems the axle width should be the same....I have done a few swingarms (in a homebuilt jig), and they were done to keep the swingarm/axle width the same.

Last edited:
I extended mine just past the pivot point where the swing arm is angled out in order to widen out the axle width for a wider rim fabed up some hollowed out 3 inch slugs on a lathe and had it all pro welded back together came out quite nice

Just for info CB 550 Axle is the same as XS but longer and if i were you i would put bike on stand and run the rear wheel in 4th or 5th and see if it has any wobble. I have never made a axle out of stainless used chrome moly yes and i don't think you are pushing any crazy horse power so i would test it first. If its going to bend it will bend on stand in high gear. My bet is nothing happens. A lot of people don't use it because its a pain to weld and costs more. It works great for air lines off compressor.

Any idea how much longer? I am putting a wide tire kit on for a 200mm tire. Has arrived yet but am assuming I will need a longer axle.

Sounds about right for the Wide hard tail, haven't got it yet to measure but the Fender is 9" so might be what I need………….anyone got a spare CB550 Axle????

Back