Rear axle seized to caliper holder.

cmj650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I ran into a problem trying to remove the rear axle. I was able to get it loose enough to pound it out of the rear of the swing arm while still in the hub. Now I can't get it out of the hub. The caliper holder has seized to the axle and will not budge, I think I need to remove the disc so I can pull the axle out of the hub. Anyone have any tips? The brake is aluminum so I don't want to bang too hard on it. It has been soaking in PB Blaster.

the best, and the only penetrating fluid I use, is just plain kerosene. Apply it several times over a few hours then warm the caliper holder, where the axle goes through it, and then give it a smack. Good luck!

Got it off, had to bang on the caliper holder a lot. The castle nut on my bike was on the sprocket side, in the video posted in the link it is on the brake side. Which is correct?

It shouldn't matter as long as the correct adjuster is used under the nut. The bolt head side has both holes the same size, the nut side has one large and one small hole.

Have you used only a rubber mallet? Try a metal one. I know this sounds odd but I ran into a similar problem with a part on my jeep. Sometimes when things seize bad using a metal hammer can add more vibration which can loosen things up. Its not necessarily more power you need just more vibration.

If banging on the axle use a chunk of aluminum or brass to protect it. Not that any PO's have ever done that on bikes I own...........

I used a 3lb engineers hammer, and a lot of patience. When I finally got it off I yelled out "I won", my 3 year old son looked at me like I was crazy.

Back