rear brake pivot for disc, on hardtail...need info re: pedal stop screw

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Was looking at my Haynes manual last night after finally realizing I'm missing a component or 2 from my rear brake pivot.
('80 hardtail with rear disc and mid controls)

I've just got the pedal on the pivot, and then a real short version of what's used as linkage for forwards connected to the other side of pivot which goes back to arm on master cyl, which is horizontally mounted along frame rail.

It's mushy as hell and has way too much play.

It just occurred to me the damn thing needs to be somewhat adjustable. So I need a mechanism to "stop" the pivot and pedal from rotating up/back past a certain point, and then I need to adjust the tension between pivot and MC, so that it is engaging (instead of just flopping) a bit past whatever I set as my stop point.

I guess I'm going to weld on a little piece of tubing to accept, say a 1/4 in bolt with 2 nuts which I can thread in or out to butt up against the pivot as it returns after braking (similar to what some people use as axle adjusters) to limit how far back /up it can come. Right now, I realize, the only thing stopping it is the linkage itself, so it's pretty floppy.

So, I realize now I need this stop screw - and I vaguely remember it from the stock set-up, where I believe it kind of pointed upward to contact the pivot arm. My pivot arm has been shaved down some, so I may need to add a place for the stop screw to contact. (or buy a new used pivot arm.)

Also, I've just ordered a pivot kit form Hugh's, as I also want to re-locate the pivot point higher up.

So this is all going to be somewhat re-configured shortly.

Question: is there any way to use a spring instead of the stop-screw? Not sure why there'd be an advantage one way or the other....but I thought I'd ask if anyone has an opinion. Also what about running a stop screw AND a spring - only the spring would just be to provide a little tension as the lever is depressed. But I'm thinking the hydraulics should provide for enough stiffness that this is not necessary?

Anyway, here's what I'm really after, if anyone feels like putting up a pic or2 and maybe an explanation how you did it. On a rear disc braked hardtail bike with mids, how did you figure out a way to do what the stop screw does on a stock bike. Did you find a place to weld on a stop screw type of thing? or are you using a stiff spring?

Any pics or input appreciated. I've got an idea what I'm going to do, but if anyone wants to explain their set-up that would be great.

Have read a bunch of threads where this stuff was alluded to, but not discussed in detail. (I guess because people used different methods to accomplish the same thing)

So, what ya got? stop screw? spring? both? (to limit highest position of rear brake lever)

thx

Back