Rear caliper question - missing clip or bolt?

borjawil

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear disc caliper , not sure from year or if it matters. Likely an 80 special.

Waiting on a new brake line yet so trying to get this figured out. No pads with it. Have bracket mounted on axle, caliper on that. Need to get a bolt for the bottom of caliper. There’s what I imagine is a slide bushing with a rubber bushing. Assuming a bolt goes through that? And there’s a small hole at the top above the main mount bolt. I’ve looked at diagrams of the caliper and see there are a couple clips. Not sure if they come with new pads or what.

If someone knows of a rebuild write up or has one they can disassemble or take pics of that’d be great.

Yes, there is a metal sleeve inside a rubber bushing that the caliper mounting bolt goes through. It allows the caliper to "float" in and out a little bit as you apply and release the brake. The sleeve should be lubed inside the rubber bushing so it does slide easily. I use red rubber grease but I think there are other products made for this available at an auto parts store. Sil-Glyde comes to mind .....

https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-...lube/ags-sil-glyde-brake-lubricant/752442_0_0

If you buy the brake pad "kit" directly from Yamaha, you'll get the needed shims and spring clip, along with the special screw with the turned down tip for retaining the rear pad .....

full

8B4P2PY.jpg

Personally, I like the original pads and think they work very well. In fact, I like them better than the aftermarket ones I've fitted and may change them back. They're really not that expensive, not any more than aftermarket ones, and you get all the needed extra bits. With aftermarket pads, that's usually all you'll get, just the pads.

Back