Rear Drum Problem

cuzIcan

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently finished up another build only to find that when I torque the rear wheel it doesn't spin...at all. I didn't find that the reason is because the rear drum brake plate rubs against the rear hub! I have never had this happen, and I'm convinced its because I missed the sprocket side inner bearing spacer (top hat), but wanted to make sure.

Hopefully someone has a little insight for me!

Hi cuzIcan,
well, you gotta tear the wheel down again to put the top hat piece back in anyway, eh?
Betcha once the full parts stack-up is back in place your problem will have gone away.

You may have ruined your bearings by tightening the axle without enough spacing in between them.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for Fred. 5twins, I hope I didn't do that either! I only torqued the wheel down to about 50 ft.lbs. and didn't ride it. SO fingers crossed!

That's exactly what I'm hoping for Fred. 5twins, I hope I didn't do that either! I only torqued the wheel down to about 50 ft.lbs. and didn't ride it. SO fingers crossed!

Hi cuzIcan,
50 ft/lbs translates into a sizeable end force; quite enough to move a bearing in it's housing.
It depends on if the entire bearing had room to move or not.
If the whole thing moved there's a chance it's still OK and it'll just need moving back again.
If the bearing's outer track bottomed out in it's housing and couldn't move while it's inner track moved as the brakeplate pushed against it the bearing is just about certain to be unuseable.
The good news is that the teardown is free because it has to be done anyway to put the top-hat back in and that the rear wheel bearings are stock races that can be bought for a modest price at your local bearing shop.

Back