Rear end lift (max suspension)

bone12

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Guys
Can anybody help with max rear suspension height on xs650........I would like to lift back end on a street tracker and give it that aggressive balanced look,I've a gsxr forks and twin discs on 18" deep rims........I suppose it will look like a small motard ,I hope ..........Just not sure how high it can be taken before chainline digs in

Its... complicated.
I'm at 1" longer shocks, and the chain rubs the swingarm pivot.
I'm offsetting it with a high ratio primary gear set, which allows you to run a 38T sprocket on the rear (as opposed to stock 35) and still maintain stock gearing.
This solves most of the problem - but its still an interference condition unless you are loaded up going down the road. But when the wheel unloads (like on a rough road at speed) it still rubs. A rubbing strake should solve this - I have another thread on this in the "A storm is coming" topic.
With the Triumph Thruxton shocks I am using (roughly $100 on ebay as take-offs), the body clears the chain ok. But if want some quality shocks (YSS on the cheap end, say Works at the high end), the shock diameter at the base is larger; I currently have about 1/8" clearance between a 520 chain and shock base. I'm still trying to make this work. Right now, the options are to just run the stock Triumph shocks, or find another shock (Hagon?) a little better quality with a smaller base to allow some more chain clearance.

Thanks for your reply pago ........It's defo a brain teaser,but would love to see a lifted back end on these beauts,when these have mod front ends they cry out for a mod back end

Using a 19" rear wheel will help in 2 ways. First of all, it will lift the rear of the bike 1/2" without altering swing arm angle. Secondly, it will raise gearing a bit, maybe enough to add a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. This may be a cheaper way around chain rub issues than raising the primary ratio....

Bone, unless you're installing a Radian or other boxed swingarm, you can use shocks up to 14" eye-to-eye (1-1/4" taller than stock) without interference. If you want something stiffer than the stock XS650 swingarm, use 5twins' recipe and install a TX750 unit: it's a bolt-on fit. The TX750 arm is a tad heavier but much more rigid, and if you fabricate/modify a plastic chain guard you can keep the overall weight of the assembly the same as stock. As I'm sure you know, installing 19" rims would severely limit your tire choices.

Thanks for all your advise,I will be keeping 18" spoked front and rear deep rims,would love to keep twin shocks,but if it don't look right I will mono shock it and fab a fixed subframe at the required height,there's some great knowledge on here thanks again

Back