rear shock extender

But what about the fact that the joint between the extender and the shock now is solid when turned 90 degrees, that is, the bushing now can't function the way it was designed for?

Yes, that may be a problem. I would remove the wheel, remove the shocks and take the spring off one, then put it back on. Pump the swingarm up and down through the shock stroke and observe the effects it has on that lower mount. With no spring on that shock, you should be able to easily move it through its entire range, from full compression to full extension.

Marp68,
What about making a shock extender with a sleeve, i.e a thin wall tube that is a slip fit around the shocks lower tube. Basically shaped the same as the shock, just big enough to slip over it. Then the bolt attaching the shock to the extender could also be slip fit, and just TIG welded at the ends. This should not create too much heat if done carefully. Then you could use a proper rubber bushing in the eye of the extender.
This solution would look much neater imo.

But like I have mentioned before, you would be better off with a longer shock of a known brand like Ohlins, WP, Racetech etc.

Arcticxs, you have a point there. If I would change to longer shocks, I will change to longer travel as well to handle bumps/holes better. For the time being I'm happy with experimenting a little with the height.

I don't really understand your idea with a sleeve. Probably something to do with my English... Could you make a quick drawing?

I was thinking, however, maybe there is room for making a bigger hole in the extender and put in a bushing. Found one that measure 10x18x20 mm, which I think would work. Have to go down and measure...

Or maybe just a rubber bushing

Attachments

• ladda ned.jpg
    ladda ned.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Thanks grizld, but no sawing or welding on this bike. Like to be able to go back to stock.

Just want to change the height without making any expensive or irreversal changes. But I will not compromise with safety and function. So the experimenting goes on...

Making a slightly bigger hole for a really small bushing is my best idea right now. Either metal/rubber or only rubber, but the right size is diffucult to find. The one I wrote about earlier has to big outer diameter. Can't make that big hole in the extender.

I could let my local workshop make bigger extenders for the standard shock bushings to fit, but he charge a lot. Which is understandable, since he would make them uniquely for my needs.

So, if anyone has a good idea of how to proceed with this, please write

The lower mounting of the extender is about 18 mm thick, so right now I'm using two washer on each side. Don't know if one could do anything with them.

Last edited:
just a quick update,recived mine in mail yesterday from petrol scooter uk,(made in china)was a very light weight cast alloy which no way I would use on the xs,it would be a death trap waiting to happen (if steel etc maybe ok) also found the same on alibaba express a lot cheaper with shipping to oz (looks to be the same bracket)

Back