Rear shocks loading weight

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want some super long shocks on the rear to make my stance more cafe'ish.

I've decided on 14.5" shocks (I am 6''2).

Anyways, the ones I found are from Dime City Cycles: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...vis-shock-absorber-shocks-damper-32-0224.html

What does it mean when the loading weight is 365 pounds per shock. That comes out to 730 pounds for the pair.

The bike weights around 475 with fluids and I weight 190 so that comes out to 665 pounds which is under the loading weight. Is this a problem?

I really can't budget for expensive shocks so please don't go recommending stuff way out of my price range.

Best,
Adam

Hey everyone,

I want some super long shocks on the rear to make my stance more cafe'ish.

I've decided on 14.5" shocks (I am 6''2).

Anyways, the ones I found are from Dime City Cycles: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...vis-shock-absorber-shocks-damper-32-0224.html

What does it mean when the loading weight is 365 pounds per shock. That comes out to 730 pounds for the pair.

The bike weights around 475 with fluids and I weight 190 so that comes out to 665 pounds which is under the loading weight. Is this a problem?

I really can't budget for expensive shocks so please don't go recommending stuff way out of my price range.

Best,
Adam

Those shocks can safely carry a load of 730 lbs. Your total weight , bike and rider, is 665 lbs, but only about 2/3 will be on the rear of the bike. So, the rear will see about 439 lbs.
The 730 lb capacity of those shocks is quite safe,being well above the 439 lbs that you expect.

The GVWR of my bike is 935 lbs, with the capacity of the rear at 615 lbs.

Attachments

• Headstock R1.JPG
    Headstock R1.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 120
Those shocks have the wrong kind of bottom mount, a clevis type. That type usually goes on a Honda. You want an eye mount top and bottom. Honestly, I think you're about to waste $100 here. Those shocks resemble the ones MikesXS sells which come with rock-hard springs and very little damping. I think you're going to get the same thing here.

Back