Rear shocks

mjpchief

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys I have looked at about all the rear shocks available and would like to hear from you on what you're using and why. Most of my riding is single but the wife rides with me every once in a while. No hard riding or street racing. Just knocking around most of the time. The bike has a set of bags and a back box but most of the time they're empty. It is a 1975 XS650B. The shocks on it are original.

Best bang for your buck is a set of Hagons. Call David up: https://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/Hagon.html

They were a DRASTIC improvement for my street tracker. There are certainly better ones out there (Ikons, Works, Ohlins, etc.) but if you're just puttering around, I'd say you'd get a VERY nice improvement with some Hagons out back, bronze swingarm bushings (let the shocks work properly), tapered steering head bearings and progressive springs up front. Bike will be a whole new animal after those upgrades!

I love my Koni 7610 dial a rides. City, backroads, smooth or potholes.

I've a set of Ikon fully adjustable's on my '76 cb750. They're great! Great quality shock in between Hagons and Ohlins/Works.
I've a set of Koni's 7614 on my '76 GL1000 and they are excellent as well. Really help that big girl act a lot smaller.
I've a set of Hagon's on my '01 spirit 750, certainly rode much better than stock!! I couldn't find their limits, but they weren't quite as nice as the Ikons.
My '81 XS bobber has some short progressives on it. Haven't rode that yet, but I understand they're nicer than stock but much better than the burly's that I almost bought for it.

Back