Rear spoked wheel rim and tyre width

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
All,
As I am looking into building a new spoked disc brake rear wheel, using a Talon MX hub, I need to decide on a rim width. I will stick to 18", so VM3/2.15 (as stock) or 2.50 are the obvious alternatives.

Hagon Shocks in the UK are also wheelbuilders, and have a rim/tyre recommendation sheet on their webpage, with the following listed for these two alternative rim sizes:

For VM3/2.15 rims the following tyre sizes are recommended: 3.25-3.50-3.60-90 (metric)
For 2.50 rims, the following tyre sizes are recommended: 4.00-4.10-100-110 (metric)

Any recommendations from you guys? I guess it will be both regarding tyre sizes and rim sizes..

The rim width you need is determined by the tire you want to run so pick your tire set first and then read off the suggested rim for it listed in the manufacturer's catalog or "fitment guide". Usually some acceptable lower and upper limit is listed as well.

In a stock swingarm I don't think you'll fit much more than a 130mm rear tire but I've seen 140-18 in the radian swingarm. Never seen a 150. Anyone out there who's made that work?

Back