Rim width recommendations? (Front vs Rear sizing)

eyewinder

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about ready to order a new set of spoked wheels for my ’80 Special, but I'm still undecided about the rim widths.

From my research, the following widths appear to be reasonable upgrades for 100/90-19 and 110/90-18 tire sizes:

- 2.15" front and 2.5" rear
- 2.5" on both ends

Are there any reasons to prefer a narrower rim on the front (i.e. relative to the rear), or should rim widths be chosen simply by the recommended sizes from tire makers?

For reference, I'm planning to go with Excel shouldered or Takasago rims on Cognito hubs. Tires will likely be Bridgestone BT45 / BT46, Avon Roadrider Mk II, or similar. However, it would be nice to have the most flexibility if I ever decide to swap with on/off road tires like a Heidenau K60 Scout etc.

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated!

Here is my, very personal take, on shouldered vs standard rims. Based on the stock flanged alloy rims on my XS650D, and a set of flanged Akront rims I have on my RD350A.
Flanged rims require more maintenance than non-flanged, as the flanges retain dirt and water. So they should ideally be washed and wiped dry after every ride, to keep them nice and shiny.
So if I am going to have a new set of rims fitted to my XS, they definitely will be non- flanged alloy rims.
As for rim width, I'd go for one size narrower on the front.

I put a 2.15 on the front of my '83 and think it looks and fits well. That would be my recommendation for the front. Much wider might cause clearance issues up by the fender mount .....

BqjL1qm.jpg

ivf7jEE.jpg

5ilZuAs.jpg

Can't comment on the rear as I stuck with the stock 16" wheel size.

R2.50 F2.15, done that works great with stock tires. But no reason the front can't be 250 with the stock tire size. I've got 3.00x18 110/70 on the front of madness, other than tricky getting the calipers on and off, no issues. There's a lot more to Madness but it's the best handling XS I've ridden.

front detaila.jpg

Resto early on 2.15x19
79front.JPG

Then with a non flange 2.5x19rim on it.
resto spacers 003.JPG

Next 3x18 with 110/70 tire. I've got the fender dropped a bit.
hotrod resto 005.JPG

When sold it was back to wearing flange 2.15x19, 2.5 18 rims.
last ride on resto.jpg
But you know me, never change anything.

Thank you all for the feedback. Three solid endorsements for the 2.15 up front, so I think the rim widths are settled!

arcticXS – Good to hear your thoughts about the rim profiles. I love the style of flanged rims, but realize they require extra care. The non-flanged rims still look nice, have an anodized finish, and are less expensive. Hmm, I've given myself until Monday to decide... :umm:

5twins and gggGary – Appreciate the photos, since I was guessing at rim sizes in other pics. I like the look of 2.15 up front!

Was Madness sold gggGary? It was one of the bikes I referred to when considering an 18" front wheel...

R2.50 F2.15, done that works great with stock tires. But no reason the front can't be 250 with the stock tire size. I've got 3.00x18 110/70 on the front of madness, other than tricky getting the calipers on and off, no issues. There's a lot more to Madness but it's the best handling XS I've ridden.

View attachment 198380

Resto early on 2.15x19
View attachment 198388

Then with a non flange 2.5x19rim on it.
View attachment 198386

Next 3x18 with 110/70 tire. I've got the fender dropped a bit.
View attachment 198383

When sold it was back to wearing flange 2.15x19, 2.5 18 rims.
View attachment 198384
But you know me, never change anything.
No it's still living here. Prolly rode it 1500 miles this year. Might add to that today if the back agrees AFTER I sealcoat the driveway.
gggGary, I'm building a street tracker. I'm thinking about 3.50-18 rims at both ends with 4.00-18 K-70 Dunlops. It's a 81 Spl. Do you think I'll have clearance issues?

Hey @46th Georgia welcome to the madhouse.
It's going to be snug. front fender would be one problem.
Heads up it's a serious pain getting calipers in and out of the front with the 18" rim. (gotta do it every time you remove the wheel)
I'm thinking a 3.00 is plenty of rim for a 4.00 tire.
Motorcycle-Rim-WidthTire-Size-Chart-by-MTSAC.edu-2.jpg

Thanks. I'm not going to run a fender, but the caliper clearance issue and having to have spokes "custom" made has me leaning towards a 2.15 front. The only thing is that I haven't found a lot of options for a fat front tire. I am probably going to buy my rims from Mike's XS. They are currently out of stock on spokes, who would you recommend?

Thanks. I really appreciate your advice. One more question, What have you heard about the Dunlop K-180 tires?
no knowledge there, the K80's are OK I've run some miles on them. But I think the tread pattern can contribute to high speed weave.

A lot of this is just opinion and not based on any certifiable evidence. Yam used a 1.85 on the front and a 2.15 on the rear.
Much of this was based on the tires of the day. Your choice to upsize both rims one size in width is fine for the current rubber selections and will not be too wide.
Your only real restriction today is what will fit between the fork tubes and the swingarm. You will have no issues with the sizes you've chosen

A lot of this is just opinion and not based on any certifiable evidence. Yam used a 1.85 on the front and a 2.15 on the rear.
Much of this was based on the tires of the day. Your choice to upsize both rims one size in width is fine for the current rubber selections and will not be too wide.
Your only real restriction today is what will fit between the fork tubes and the swingarm. You will have no issues with the sizes you've chosen
Thanks for your input. I'm leaning toward Dunlop K-180 120/90-18 front and rear using 2.50-18 rims. gggGary says it's a bit of a challenge getting the caliper on with the shorter wheel. That's my only real concern, however I'm not ruling out 19's on both ends either. The only thing about that is a more limited tire size choice.
no knowledge there, the K80's are OK I've run some miles on them. But I think the tread pattern can contribute to high speed weave.
When you said it's difficult getting the caliper on using an 18" rim, how difficult? Asking for a friend.

Back