rear sprocket lock washers????

birdhouse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Should I put the stock lock clips back on the rear sprocket or would it be ok to use lock tite and stainless lock washers? the stocks are bent up due to removal. I thought it would look cleaner and kinda cool to back the sprocket bolts with lock washers. Does anyone disagree?

Posted via Mobile

I had one bolt with a lock washer on it and the others used the stock system. Had to tighten that one up all the time. No locktite on it, but I would say that the stock ones would work better over time..

I wouldn't risk it! Check my thread on getting a broken one out! On mine, a PO must have left the tab unbent, or, the tab rusted and broke. The bolt backed out and fouled on the swingarm. The swingarm looks OK, but, the what was left of the bolt was stuck in there good and now I'm looking at a helicoil repair. I wonder what it was like to be riding the thing when the bolt came out? A bit of rear wheel lock I would think.
An alternate I was considering would be to get the hex bolt heads cross drilled and lock wire them together. It's common practice in aircraft maintenance - you need a positive mechanical lock that can be visually confirmed. Lock washers and locktite wouldn't cut it.

im running loc-tite on mine as mine were missing when i got the bike. But i generally go over my 74 with a fine tooth comb pretty often before i ride.

Back