Rear Tire Too Wide?

schpud

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Maxxis Classic mt90/16 tire on my rear. I've read that this size should fit no problem, but on each side there is very little clearance. It also looks like sometimes my chain is hitting off the tire, nothing too major, but I don't want to destroy the tire over time. The pressure is right, and the tire is on straight?

I don't know if I need a new tire, it's hard to explain without a picture, but it seems like most xs's have "squarer" tires, where these seem to get wider from the rim, more like a sport bike tire? Has anyone else had this problem with tires?

I'll check the chain, but just wondering anyway, what is a thinner sized rear tire that would still fit, when I need a new rear tire I think that a thinner one might look good.

You could always shave the side of the tire slightly... as a last ditch effort, but if the chain isnt hitting all the time i wouldnt worry too much about it...

Where do you find some of the maxxis tires? I was looking at the dirt track racing tires... but cannot find them anywhere online.... any leads?

Does this tire make my bike look fat?............:laugh:

Back