Rear wheel bearing assembly question ??

xs650tony

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Okay, So I am building a chopper with a custom frame (GL chopper frame). This frame for one is not set to use stock components grrrrr. Second upon assembling the rear wheel and putting the drum brake on etc...I noticed that it was getting hung up on something and spinning the axle. Tried using a new axle and same thing. I then noticed that there was a lot of play in the wheel on the chain side. I noticed that the bearing on the hub side is snug around the axle. However on the chain side the axle moved around. This has to be my problem. My question is why is one bearing bigger on one side? The wheel I removed was a disc brake model and both bearings are identical. Am I missing a piece to make this work...ie special spacer or collar for drum brake models?

There's a "top hat" spacer that goes in the chain side bearing which some people throw away. Run out to the trash if the old bearing is still there.

I have a tophat spacer from the disc brake wheel? are they the same? Does this spacer fit on the inside of the bearing somehow? Real wish I could see a picture of the real thing. The diagram tells me nothing. I tried using my tophats fromt he disc brake but its not right still wobbling etc..

In the drum brake cast wheel the left bearing center hole is a lot bigger than the right. The top hat spacer, which is about as long as the bearing is thick, goes in from the inboard side of the bearing and takes up the space between that bigger hole and the axle. The ID of the top hat is the same as that of the right bearing.

okay so i dont have the right tophat, my buddy has a stock setup that I running to take a look at. Ill post some pics if I get this right. Thanks for the help. It looks like the disc brake tophats just sit on top of the bearing and the drum brake top hat sits inside? I think thats what your saying?

oIt looks like the disc brake tophats just sit on top of the bearing and the drum brake top hat sits inside? I think thats what your saying?

All I've seen is the drum set up, but I think they're the same. You might be confusing the top hat with the inner spacer. The inner spacer is maybe 3-4" long. The top hat is about 1". The drum takes both and the disk probably does too.

here's a pic 5twins posted a couple days ago the tophat spacer #20 fits inside of #21

Attachments

• RearWheelBearings.PNG
    RearWheelBearings.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 213
Yes, that illusive #20 "collar", as Yamaha calls it. Looks like another one got tossed, lol. The internal bearing "stack" is just as in the pic above for either wheel, disc or drum. The differences are in the right side outer spacing method beyond part #10.

Back