Wheel bearing question

Eric12171

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
New to these bikes . And when I took it apart I didn’t pay close enough attention.

The question is when installing rear wheel bearings . 1979 special cast wheel

How far do you press in the bearings ?
The whole way to the landings or slightly above ?

Thank you for the help,
I’ve looked numerous places. Including my manual but can’t find anything specific.

You press the bearings in all the way until they bottom out on the step in the hub. And don't forget the spacer tube between the bearings (#7 below) or the top hat shaped "sleeve" that fits into the left sprocket side bearing (#20 below) .....

Rear Wheel Bearings.jpg

That #20 spacer is often left out, thrown away with the old bearing. That left side bearing has an I.D. of 25mm but the axle diameter is only 20mm. That #20 spacer/sleeve sleeves the 25mm I.D. bearing down to 20mm so it fits the axle. Also, the lip on it's back side combines with the #7 spacer tube to give the proper spacing between the two bearing inner races. That way you can tighten the axle up without pulling the bearings in too much and binding them up.

You press the bearings in all the way until they bottom out on the step in the hub. And don't forget the spacer tube between the bearings (#7 below) or the top hat shaped "sleeve" that fits into the left sprocket side bearing (#20 below) .....

View attachment 249960

That #20 spacer is often left out, thrown away with the old bearing. That left side bearing has an I.D. of 25mm but the axle diameter is only 20mm. That #20 spacer/sleeve sleeves the 25mm I.D. bearing down to 20mm so it fits the axle. Also, the lip on it's back side combines with the #7 spacer tube to give the proper spacing between the two bearing inner races. That way you can tighten the axle up without pulling the bearings in too much and binding them up.

View attachment 249960

That #20 spacer is often left out, thrown away with the old bearing. That left side bearing has an I.D. of 25mm but the axle diameter is only 20mm. That #20 spacer/sleeve sleeves the 25mm I.D. bearing down to 20mm so it fits the axle. Also, the lip on it's back side combines with the #7 spacer tube to give the proper spacing between the two bearing inner races.
Hi,
New to these bikes . And when I took it apart I didn’t pay close enough attention.

Thank you for the help,
I’ve looked numerous places. Including my manual but can’t find anything specific.
Hi,

Thank you for the help,
Thank you 5 twins ,
I figured that was the case ,
Just wanted to make sure,
That big bearing is set in pretty deep.

Back