Rear wheel bearing removal - ARGH!

Cribby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 XS1 rear hubs that I’m trying to remove the wheel bearings from and I’m stumped!

I’ve tried everything, heat, force, 20 tonne press, soaking in WD40 for a week and still the bloody bearings won’t budge

Ant help will be GRATEFULLY accepted

Thanks

Typically you use a pry tool to push the center spacer aside then a drift to knock out the one on the far side, they will not press through the hub as an assembly.
Or you can use a puller to pull them out on the side you're working from.

The rear wheel bearings on these bikes are easier to remove than the fronts because of that top hat shaped spacer fitted into the left bearing. That bearing has a 25mm I.D. and the spacer sleeves it down to 20mm so it fits the axle. The spacer is #20 in the drawing below .....

Rear Wheel Bearings.jpg

The "hat brim" or lip on the spacer is on the inside so find a socket or drift of some sort with an O.D. just slightly smaller than 25mm, and drive the spacer out of the bearing into the hub. This will push the long tube spacer and the bearing on the other side out. With them removed it's then a simple matter to drive the left bearing out with a long drift (from the right side).

Get a blind hole bearing puller from Harbor Fright and you'll save yourself a lot of grief, now and in future.

Back