Wanted - Rear wheel spacer for xs 650

visimpact

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am in need of the spacer that is in between the bearings inside the rear wheel(it has the centering collar on the one side). Its a 16 inch rear wheel but I dont think that matters for that spacer. If anyone has one please email me a price to mmpp71@visualimpact2.com. Thank you.

Is this the part you are looking for?

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 132
Actually no, I need the one that is inside the rear hub itself. It has a collar on one side of the spacer to help center the spacer for when the axle goes thru it. Its about 3 inches long or so.

You can leave that spacer out , not had one in mine for donkeys years and no harms come to the wheel/bearings !

gentlemen jim, thats not the one I seek. Its the one that rides in between the rear wheel bearings inside the hub itself. Thank you for taking the time to look for it though guys. I appreciate it. As far as not running it, you havent had any bearing issues without it? Cool, maybe I go without it then if I cant locate one. Id still rather put it in if I can find one though.

No issues at all, its covered about 12,000 miles over the last 5 years & the bearings are fine..
Its only that I couldnt be arsed to tap the new/replacement bearings out again ,when I realized Id left it out, that I decided to take the chance:thumbsup:

You can run the bike w/o the part your talking about, BUT, it does have a purpose. It is designed to keep the bearings from being pushed in when you torque the axle nut. To much pressure on the bearings will cause them to fail. Like I said you can run w/o it, but be careful, dont over tighten.

I appreciate the input on this. I would def. like to run one but if I cant find one at least I know that its possible to do without. Im sure one will surface. Actually I thought I had a spare in my pile of parts but I couldnt find it.

It will be a while before I have one. I also have a 1980 XS that I am going to be using some parts off of, for my build. When I tear into it, I will let you know. If you still need it.

You CANNOT run without the spacer inside the wheel hub between teh bearings. The spec axle torque is 108 foot pounds! To not use this high torque and just have the axle gently snugged is to not understand what the high torque and heavy spacers are doing for the strength and integity of the swing arm. Also, there is always that nasty part about losing the rear wheel.

Tom Graham

Does this look like the animal?

Attachments

• xs650 forum pics 001.jpg
    xs650 forum pics 001.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 131
  • xs650 forum pics 002.jpg
    xs650 forum pics 002.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 131
..Mines now covered 15,000 miles with the spacer missing...No issues yet...Though I do mean to put one in ,eventually..

Back